Possible Light Leak Help

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
I purcahsed a lovely little Canonet QL17 back in March and ran a roll of film through it with no issues what so ever. A couple of weeks later I loaded it with a roll of Fuji Pro 400H and took it along with me to a shoot but only fired off about 8 frames. The following week I took it out with me to another shoot where I fired off another 8 or so, and then 2 weeks later I took it to another shoot where I finally finished the roll. Not ideal I know, but we're not exactly talking a long time from start to finish.

I got the negs back from Peak today and was quite dissapointed to see what appears to be some red light leaks on 'some' images. All the images from the first shoot appear to be clear (example below), 5 out the 8 of the second shoot have light leaks with some being quite bad and others very minor (examples also below). The final shoot has a very minor leak on the first frame shot but none on the remaining 20 images (again examples below).

So my question is: Are these light leaks from the camera? I suspect they are but the inconsistency in which frames are effected against which frames aren't doesn't seem to quite add up. If possibly not then is it a film issue (this was my first time shooting Fuji film), or was it a lab issue (i've been using Peak for a while now and there quality has always been impeccable).

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Image 1 (5)-Edit.jpgImage 1 (2).jpgImage 1 (3).jpgImage 1 (6).jpgImage 1 (7).jpgImage 1 (8).jpgImage 1 (9)-Edit.jpgImage 1-Edit.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 1 (7).jpg

You have a small defect in the foam light seal which is letting in a very small amount of light. When you are actually using the camera, there is insufficient light coming in to be visible on each frame but when the camera is left for a while without the film being advanced, the cumulative light coming in is visible.

Keeping the camera in some sort of case/thick bag might be enough to prevent this.

Last edited:
Back