Post Industrial

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Great set, I really like 4 & 5 but all are very god. There is a strong essay in there about the demise of a once great British industry!

A nice set, I just feel that they are a little flat, lacking luminosity. It may have been the light, or it is possible that the potential is within the photos to build the atmosphere a little. At the moment they are very literal record shots, which isn't in itself a bad thing, but I feel you could take them further and exploit the strength of B&W in projecting atmosphere.

Excellent Stuff! Think i will have to come find you on Flickr! (y)

A nice set, I just feel that they are a little flat, lacking luminosity. It may have been the light, or it is possible that the potential is within the photos to build the atmosphere a little. At the moment they are very literal record shots, which isn't in itself a bad thing, but I feel you could take them further and exploit the strength of B&W in projecting atmosphere.

Thanks very much for making that very valid point. I suspect the limitation is my inexpert use of an automatic, point n shoot film camera. That was the first time I'd used it. I much prefer to have full control ;)

Excellent Stuff! Think i will have to come find you on Flickr! (y)

Thanks, have a look. Of course you'll have to wade through all the dross as well. :LOL:

Thanks very much for making that very valid point. I suspect the limitation is my inexpert use of an automatic, point n shoot film camera. That was the first time I'd used it. I much prefer to have full control ;)
I'm not sure about that. The exposures look absolutely fine to me. I feel that you could (if you wanted!) build on the latent potential of the negatives in Lightroom, Photoshop or using the Nik plugins to build the luminosity and hence the atmosphere.

This is an interesting read on the subject of luminance vs luminosity..
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/bw_master_print.shtml

OK, I'll admit, wasn't getting it at first but, after a lot of reading and experimenting, the penny has dropped.

This will make a big difference to my b+w film photos.

Thanks Toby (y)

Back