Post Mortum Macroshots?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently discovered a few ants roaming around my kitchen... I've got a few options, leave them roam for a day before the ant killer comes down and let one or two of them die of natural causes, or blast them with powder...

Now i do want to get some post mortum shots of ants as i know these little suckers will not stand still for a second!
Any tips on doing this? What background's work well? White card? Coloured card? something glossy?

And would an off camera flash work with a small diffuser? and also, any tips on keeping these in a realistic looking position, i've tried post mortum flies before, and unfortunately they choose to lie on their backs!

Many Thanks!

Andy

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
I don't think post-mortem ants will be any better or more likely to stay 'right way up' than the flies. If you want to slow them down, pop them in the fridge for a little while to cool, but be aware they will warm up fast once back in ambient temps.

Name
Joan
Edit My Images
Yes
If they die of natural causes you will never find them. If you blast them with powder they will return to the nest - and you'll never find them! I would go with the fridge idea! or just be very quick in photographing them!
If you have a garden, in another couple of months they will be very active. You could then set your camera up and lift a paving slab or brick around where they are scurrying and making holes in the sand joints. If you are lucky you will uncover a nest and get lots of shots of millions of ants hurrying about trying to save their eggs.

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Ants tend to follow the same trail over and back, watch where they are marching, set up your camera accordingly. Use manual focus, pre-aimed at a spot you know they're going to pass through. Manual focus is always best for macro, no hunting, it'll always be tack sharp where you have pre-focused - use some seeds to help focus on where the ants will pass perhaps

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Another idea is to put a drop of syrup, honey or any sweet liquid down, using a syringe. The ants will stay fairly still for a second or two, whilst they collect or drink the food.