Post Your Grey Background Pics!

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
After weeks of pondering have finally ordered storm grey paper background rolls for my portait photography. Would love to see what others are achieving with grey backgrounds so does anyone have any pics they are willing to post up?

(Posted using android TP app.)

I'll be keeping my eye on this one!

Been thinking about getting grey paper roll, but not sure what width to buy if i'm doing portable shoots :(

When I bought my white, I bought 1.72 and 2.72 wide, where I would say both have had equal use. 2.72 is great for family shoots and allows flexibility for smaller groups, where I've used the 1.72 for smaller locations, and where only needed minimal width such as headshots and such forth.

I'll watch with interest too, Marcus, as I'm still umming and aahing.

Last edited:
You've got some good work there Danny! :D

Were all of them shot on that storm grey? I assume thats a standard widely available colour?

Storm Grey is a quite a standard colour I think?

When I ordered mine, after two glasses of wine, all seemed good but now they've turned up I have a 2.72 Storm Grey and a 1.72 Smoke Grey. I'm a plum! Anyway looking at the two they are very different where the smoke grey is quite dark compared a very light looking storm grey. Quite looking forward to having a play with the two different tones to be honest.

You've got some good work there Danny! :D

Were all of them shot on that storm grey? I assume thats a standard widely available colour?

Thanks alot :D

Yeah all on Storm Grey :) Widely available, and pretty flexible really, it's light enough to blow out to white if you need to, and dark enough to drop to black easily if you grid and gobo your lights (y)

Storm Grey is a quite a standard colour I think?

When I ordered mine, after two glasses of wine, all seemed good but now they've turned up I have a 2.72 Storm Grey and a 1.72 Smoke Grey. I'm a plum! Anyway looking at the two they are very different where the smoke grey is quite dark compared a very light looking storm grey. Quite looking forward to having a play with the two different tones to be honest.

2 colours = twice the fun :bonk: lol

Got a few on my portfolio (numbers 1,3,4,5,7,17,18 on the main page) on a storm grey 1.72, colour tone changed with gels on flash and/or by adjusting white balance point on camera.

http://lloydstretton.com

Got a few on my portfolio (numbers 1,3,4,5,7,17,18 on the main page) on a storm grey 1.72, colour tone changed with gels on flash and/or by adjusting white balance point on camera.

http://lloydstretton.com

Again, nice work. Love how this background looks.

It all depends on the lighting really. Which colour grey was this one then?
blackisbeautiful.jpg

Storm grey obviously ;) Much more likely to be lying around in a studio than smoke.

Yes, it's a white wall with vary little light falling on it, which is my point - it's much more about the light than the colour that you start with.

Don't know what's happened to the image quality here though, all sorts of things seem to have crept into it, posted on here

Garry,

do you mind explaining the layout of the shot? i.e how far the model was from the background wall, what lighting was used etc?

pleeeeeeeease!! :naughty:

Garry,

do you mind explaining the layout of the shot? i.e how far the model was from the background wall, what lighting was used etc?

pleeeeeeeease!! :naughty:
Close to the wall, don't remember the actual distance and it isn't important anyway in this shot.

2 softboxes were used, each in the rimlight position, i.e. to the side and behind (so all the light was going forward and none reached the backgrund, which is why the distance from the background isn't important in this shot).
The softbox on the right was bigger than the one on the left, and higher, because it had to light her face as well as her body. The one on the left was only lighting her body, I didn't want any light on the back of her head.

The final shot was retouched, what you see here is unretouched.

All is good Vishal!

This does go to show though with the right technique you can achieve a hell of a lot with your lighting.

BTW Got a family talking to me about a booking, if they go for it am gonna try and push the grey background rather than the chavground!

Last edited:
All is good Vishal!

This does go to show though with the right technique you can achieve a hell of a lot with your lighting.

BTW Got a family talking to me about a booking, if they go for it am gonna try and push the grey background rather than the chavground!
Hey - I coined 'chavground' - you need to pay me a licensing fee if you want to use it:)

I'm seriously considering just telling people I don't do white on location unless they have a mansion. If you explain the quality is so much better on grey and they'll look brilliant they'll go for it. Look at how Gary has done it!

There's a few with a grey background on my flickr photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mahoneydanny

Hi,

This thread was good timing I was in two minds, ready this has decided grey is the way for me to go.

I am just starting out so I am looking to be sensible about my budget, I hope.

With those full length shots is it easy to stop the paper from rucking up when the person is stood on it.
I have young nephews to photo and I guess they will not keep too still!

I am also looking for a 2nd flash gun (after spending an afternoon with Rough edges)

I have a 430EX11/550D which is triggered with Yongnuo.
If I am only using manual mode there does not seem to be a lot of sense in paying too much money
How would I be able to trigger it?
Is there much to chose from the different Yongnuo flash guns?
Is there anything I should bear in mind?
Best place to purchase?

Sorry that is a lot of questions lol
Cheers Alex

Hi,

This thread was good timing I was in two minds, ready this has decided grey is the way for me to go.

I am just starting out so I am looking to be sensible about my budget, I hope.

With those full length shots is it easy to stop the paper from rucking up when the person is stood on it.
I have young nephews to photo and I guess they will not keep too still!

I am also looking for a 2nd flash gun (after spending an afternoon with Rough edges)

I have a 430EX11/550D which is triggered with Yongnuo.
If I am only using manual mode there does not seem to be a lot of sense in paying too much money
How would I be able to trigger it? Yongnuo RF-602's
Is there much to chose from the different Yongnuo flash guns? Yes. Go for either YN460-II or preferably YN560's
Is there anything I should bear in mind? More than can be covered here!
Best place to purchase? Cotswold on ebay if he has any.

Sorry that is a lot of questions lol
Cheers Alex

I find using a light grey background can give you some interesting tones when shot B&W. Here are a couple which I have done:

895555415_f8rED-L.jpg

817615236_KAGN2-L.jpg

Thanks Dean,
if I already have a 602 to trigger my 430Ex, will I be able to trigger the Yongnuo from when the flash is fired on the 430Ex?

Any views on the grey paper background, I am a bit tight for space width 2.2m and 3m in front.

Cheers for any halp,
Alex

Back