Postal Deliveries

Edit My Images
No
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else before.
On Friday I had a delivery of a camera and lens adapter (Amazon), The cost of it was nearly £700
Even though I was in, the driver didn't ring the bell. (My dog usually tells me someone comes through the gate but he must have had an off day.)
Phone pings to say the 'parcel has been handed to a resident'
I opened the door and the parcel was there on the step, in the rain, in full view on a fairly busy street. Driver wasn't to be seen.
I'm not working now so it was a good job I was in!
I can't be the only one I'm sure!

DPD often deliver to the mill where I work.
They were told No Deliveries After 15:30
If they were running late, they came here, jumped out of the cab and took a photo then logged that no one was here to accept the package.
This was despite the Gatehouse being manned 24/7
Said package was either returned to sender or redelivered days after.

One time I refused a parcel saying it was after 15:30 and the driver was not pleased to say the least.
A few days later I was expecting a parcel at home and it wasn't delivered.
We are on the same route as the mill.
Driver said that if I could be awkward at the mill then so could he at my home address - GRRRRR!!!!!

If you check Amazon's guidelines- they now say the Driver will leave the parcel on the doorstep and either knock or ring the doorbell :)

Les

If you check Amazon's guidelines- they now say the Driver will leave the parcel on the doorstep and either knock or ring the doorbell :)

Les
They leave the parcel but don't make any attempt to contact anyone in the house; they just run off silently. Like the OP I often only realise my items have arrived when I get an electronic notification. ParcelFarce (sic) are just as bad. The drivers are supposed to take a photo of the item on the doorstep but don't. I had £300 of medical supplies go missing as a result. Luckily the supplier re-sent them.

They leave the parcel but don't make any attempt to contact anyone in the house; they just run off silently. Like the OP I often only realise my items have arrived when I get an electronic notification. ParcelFarce (sic) are just as bad. The drivers are supposed to take a photo of the item on the doorstep but don't. I had £300 of medical supplies go missing as a result. Luckily the supplier re-sent them.

I am in no way defending the actions of Amazon drivers - had it happen to me yesterday, thankfully my dogs alerted me to someone on the drive, just happened to catch sight of the driver as he entered his van to drive away......

Les :)

I can't be the only one I'm sure!

No you aren't.

Hello,

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk!

I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with the service from Amazon logistics .

The delivery station will review any issues and work with the driver for a resolve and also to prevent future delivery issues.

I'm afraid that we don't have the ability to assign certain carriers to a specific customer or address but we’ll work with the carrier to drive improvements to their service.

We understand how this may be frustrating and realise this incident reflects negatively upon Amazon.co.uk.

The feedback you've provided will be used in reviewing the service provided by Amazon logistics .

We continually monitor the service provided by our carriers and take complaints of this nature very seriously.

We’ll replace any items lost or damaged during delivery at no extra charge.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us and to bring this to our attention.

I hope this helps.

No doubt Les and probably all had the same expectations.

I am trying to avoid Amazon for stuff if I can- my deliveries start at say 11am to 2pm and slowly but surely end up on the APP moving to a delivery slot that say before 10 PM

this happens so often it's no longer funny

Les

I am trying to avoid Amazon for stuff if I can- my deliveries start at say 11am to 2pm and slowly but surely end up on the APP moving to a delivery slot that say before 10 PM

this happens so often it's no longer funny

Les

My favourite is "Order within 3 hrs 10 mins for delivery by 10pm today" ... Buy it and it says "Delivery tomorrow".
TBH we've used them a lot over lockdown but I'm considering ending my Prime subscription.

Our Parcelforce delivery man always knocks/rings as does the Postman
Hermes lady is also very reliable and usually delivers early afternoon.
Amazon are good 95% of the time although have had the odd item left on the doorstep.
DFD also ring then take a photo of the goods with the door open

Only really poor one I have encountered is DHL, useless tracking, slow and never ring or give delivery slot.

Overall I think the delivery people have done a blinding job throughout the Covid crisis.

Is the title of the thread right? Postal deliveries are fine (Parcel Farce and Postman) but the others vary. Parcel deliveries might be a better phrase?

On Friday I had a DPD delivery. The email and text said they would try to deliver, and if I wasn't in they’d leave it in my safe place. (Well they are’nt gonog to do that are they, only me and the cat are allowed in my safe place...) seriously though, he knocked on the door (theres a door bell) and by the time I’d got to the window above the door (my ’office’ is upstairs) he was taking a photo and walking away, parcel leaning against the door, and five people chatting 10 feet away in the street.

I was walking to my front door about to open it to go out and as I did the postman was about to put a "sorry you were out card" through the letter box for a parcel delivery. I said you haven't even knocked the door and he said he did, I said have a German Shepherd that barks like crazy when someone knocks. And my dog is unstoppable at the door.
I walked with him to his van and he actually had to move several boxes to get to my parcel.
Parcel force are not usually like this and I haven't had any other issues with them but Amazon is another story, they are terrible

I`m lucky enough to have really nice neighbours, who take our stuff in. We`ve put a sign up in the porch, and it seems to be working, thankfully.

amazon nearly always ring the doorbell and walk away.
For when we are out (remember those days), I have a nominated safe place but they seem to ignore this.

I'm sure it must be annoying and frustrating to have deliveries left on the doorstep etc, but has anyone else seen the film "Sorry we missed you" by Ken Loach?

It's a drama but it shows the pressure these delivery drivers are under.

This.

I used to have a great Hermes driver. Chatting to her one day a few years ago, she told me that rates were somewhere around 60 PENCE per delivery. Hermes make up some numbers to make this at least minimum wage but in practice, they are working for a few quid an hour using their own vehicle. Amazon delivered something that required a pin code to receive the other day. The poor driver looked terrified because it took me a minute or 2 to find the number on my phone. It later occurred to me that he spends the entire day racing the clock and that my delay could cost him money or even his job.

It's no wonder they don't have time to chat.

Sure, it was lucky you were in. But you were. And currently most people are. I've actually changed my address on Amazon so the second line is "if out leave in porch" - the drivers know not to leave stuff in the rain but that it's cool to just drop and run.

Ok, it's an Amazon product, but I have a Blink camera in my porch that sends a movement alert to my phone.

Proved to be 100% reliable in keeping me informed of deliveries, unlike couriers, AND it provides an independent record of whether they knocked, etc.

I never had an issue with stuff from Amazon when DPD used to deliver it, but now there's an Amazon depot literally 3 miles from my door, and they now use their own guys to deliver, I've had nothing but hassle, not receiving items or delivered to the wrong house...

Looking at it from a couriers point of view, I work for DHL, all the nonsense about under pressure for the delivery slots is utter tosh. We work on a 1 hour timeslot, others work on 2 and even 4 hour slots, there's no excuse for being outside your delivery window other than you're just useless at the job or don't care, as the timings work off google maps to give you the times when you optimise your route before departing. I have a rural route covering 200 miles a day, and very rarely am I 10 minutes later than the front of the delivery window time. I average about 100 drops over 200 miles and 8 hours. If you're delivering in a city, you can knock off 100 drops in no time as they're all close together.

There's no excuse for not knocking on the door and waiting until someone comes to the door or you see them coming. I'm lucky my route most houses are left open and parcels just get left inside the door/porch/garage/shed if no one's home.

I think it's down to the individual rather than the company though, as a lot are using the pandemic as a reason to just dump and run, it's just annoying when we all get tarred with the same brush.

We must be lucky. DPD, Hermes, Yodel, and Amazon all seem to be reasonably well behaved. The worst we get is them backing away from the door to head to the van as they see movement and they do check we open the door to take th parcel. (Our front door is just back from the main road).

If I'm not sure if I'm going to be in then I use Amazon's lockers which are a 6 minute walk away.

The biggest hassle we have is with Royal Mail. The staff are fine but typically the tracking is all about confirmation of delivery rather than scheduling. This means you can't be sure when something will arrive unless it's a guaranteed/special delivery service - and during the pandemic there has been additional unpredictability.

Amazon have been excellent for me. They ring the bell, put the parcel on the doorstep and stand back.
Many moons ago I did had similar problems with them like others have here.
DPD have also been brilliant as well.
I've only had one delivered via UK mail and it was a real pain dealing them.
Royal mail are generally very good but we currently have postal delay due to staff shortages due to illness (no idea if it's covid).
My Herpes some how managed to lose a plastic garden storage box / shed that was quite large.
I tend to use Amazon quite a lot and if I know I'm not going to be home I either have it delivered to a local shop or Amazon locker.

@Steelo - I agree with you completely. When I worked for ParcelForce I also had a rural route of about the same size as yours and a typical day was 120 - 150 drops. Aside from the odd pre-9 o'clock delivery in the back of beyond and completely outside the logical delivery sequence I was never so pushed for time that I couldn't knock and wait.

I’m sure Amazon drivers get paid by the parcel as most of there drivers are sub contracted, hence the reason they put them on your doorstep and take a picture and leg it.

You can instruct Amazon to leave stuff in a 'safe place' which in my case is a greenhouse. They never do.
It's a common problem with most delivery companies.
I've always though DPD to be the best

Yeah so ups just left a £1500 laptop on the door step in the rain. Of course I was in, but by the time I'd asked the person I was conferencing with to hold a minute the van had gone. They also delivered a day earlier than expected.

Fortunately there's pretty much no crime here and cardboard is shower proof.

You're not the only one.
DPD tried to deliver £1300 worth of Marantz amplifier to a house across the road from me in a different street.
If I hadn't been anxiously curtain twitching I don't know what would have happened.

You can instruct Amazon to leave stuff in a 'safe place' which in my case is a greenhouse. They never do.
It's a common problem with most delivery companies.
I've always though DPD to be the best

They might not where you are but they all do here. We have a meter cupboard with a meter box key so if we're expecting a parcel, we leave the key in and a note asking them to leave the package in there and post the key through the letter box.

I've found my deliveries to be really good. DPD have been consistently reliable for us through a variety of drivers. They always send a notice with an option to change delivery requirements etc

Although Amazon sometimes leave small items on the doorstep I'm fine with it. It must. be pretty rough for them at the moment. Yes, would be an inconvenience if they went missing but they'd liable so it's their risk: I guess they do a cost/benefit analysis and act accordingly. Even so, I've been grateful for how well they kept things going during such a difficult time for everyone. Fantastic job IMHO. This at a time when even UPS have been creaking under the strain at times these last few months.

All deliveries the driver rings the bell after leaving the parcel. and the doorstep is sheltered. Not likely anyone will steal from a door step as we are well away from a main road. We keep an eye out for neighbours and a couple across the Rd have hearing problems so are often unaware of a delivery so we let them know.

Dave

I'm a postman, I deliver my own mail/parcel. You can't trust anyone these days...

Reactions: RIR
They might not where you are but they all do here. We have a meter cupboard with a meter box key so if we're expecting a parcel, we leave the key in and a note asking them to leave the package in there and post the key through the letter box.

As said above, I'm a postman and I love customers which have a system in place that works like yours.

I've got people that give a key ring to the neighbors and if they are not home you knock at the neighbors which take the packet and give you the keyring which you put in the first person letterbox to let them know the packet is next door. Simple, safe, not wasting any paper.
I've a shed with a hidden key.
I've got a shed with a numbered padlocked which I know the number.

Sometimes you need to go that litte bit further but at least this way both the postman and the recipients are safe.

i live in a small road of just 7nhiuses and we have had he same postman for years. He knows us all and we all take in parcels for each other. If you have an Amazon locker nearby you can always get Amazon parcels delivered there then collect them at a time suitable for you. I frequently do this or get stuff delivered to my mum who is nearly always at home due to lockdown....

I'm sure it must be annoying and frustrating to have deliveries left on the doorstep etc, but has anyone else seen the film "Sorry we missed you" by Ken Loach?

It's a drama but it shows the pressure these delivery drivers are under.

Thank you so much for this.
I'm massive fan of Ken Loach and I didn't know about this film.

Back