Posting a lens.

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm guessing RMSD is the best option for this? I have read that glass items are not covered by postal insurance from anyone, so is this the case?

Thanks.

i have always stated that it lenses that i am sending and they are fine with it - i beleive it couriers that opt out of glass items rather than royal mail.

RMSD + Insurance. With lots and lots of bubble wrap.

Courier's are also OK (again bubble wrap).

Sent my 70-200 to fixation to get fixed RMSD. It did. It came back courier, DHL if I remember

I've send few lenses via RMSD and never had any problems with it. no damage what so ever :)

I'm unsure about the insurance terms but lots of bubble wrap and polystyrene chips have always worked for me. Prevention being better than a cure!
Just assume that whoever the carrier is they're going to chuck it about like a football and pack it accordingly... works for me... so far ;)

cheers
Bill

I've sent about 1600 lenses by RMSD and courier. Lost: zero. Breakages: zero. The insurance probably does cover them, but with statistics like that I don't worry about it.

other thing is ,there not made of glass ,so are covered ins wise

I've posted a couple of lenses via RMSD. I get asked the value for insurance purposes but never been asked if the package contained glass. As said, lots of bubble wrap. (y)

also RMSD do not get sorted with normal post and there is a limit weight wise that can go RMSD so you will never put a lens win the same van as an ovrly heavy package that may topple on to it, it is meant o be hand handled all the way.

I sent a camera and 2 lenses by RMSD a couple of weeks ago. RM did not want to know the contents, but I told them how much insurance I wanted.

You might want to check about the insurance. I once sold a fine piece of pottery to a purchaser in Germany. I'd advertised in the auction that I'd provide postage & insurance at cost to the purchaser's requirements. Probably because of all the trouble I'd gone to the item arrived in several pieces and we found that the level of insurance specified "does not cover ceramics & pottery items".

All in all a complete pain: purchaser kicked off big time and a lovely antique item went into the skip.

I've had heavy brass-&-glass zooms sent from mainland Europe with just crumpled newspaper for packing. The lenses arrived with internal damage. Maybe it's a Green thing for them to not use polystyrene? If they wrap the lens with paper or don't wrap it at all, the lens arrives covered in dust.

Tightly crumpled newspaper can work OK, but you need a good amount of space around the item and a waterproof outer. Allow for the package to drop from a conveyor from at least waist height.

I prefer RMSD to couriers, as the couriers race around with the packages rattling around in the back of a van.

You might want to check about the insurance. I once sold a fine piece of pottery to a purchaser in Germany. I'd advertised in the auction that I'd provide postage & insurance at cost to the purchaser's requirements. Probably because of all the trouble I'd gone to the item arrived in several pieces and we found that the level of insurance specified "does not cover ceramics & pottery items".

All in all a complete pain: purchaser kicked off big time and a lovely antique item went into the skip.
I think the basic RMSD package includes £500 of insurance.

I've sent several lenses by RMSD and never had a problem. Just make sure the insurance covers the value your sending.

Back