POTYII - Discussion about entry text (now closed)

Should we allow a short text explanation with photo entries?

• No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Yes but only certain months where the theme dictates it

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I don't care but I would like to see the results....

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been discussing it with the judges and we felt that it might enhance the competition if entrants can give a short note to go with their entry explaining their thinking re the theme (maybe 50 words max). That would have helped with some entries but I don't think everyone would agree as some might feel that if you have to explain it then it doesn't work.

DISCUSS :D

I'm not sure that adding comments will enhance the competition, I can't think of any similar comps where the entrant would comment on the 'exhibit' ... WYSIWYG applies for the judges I think if it is to be fair.
If we add comments I'm not sure we will have a level playing field.

i think a small comment, about the photo was allowed it would help the judges see what is been aimed at within in the photo, as see it from the photographers angle.

I don't know if the judges get to see what the person calls the photograph, as the naming of a photo can be important in portraying what your wanting too

but I agree, with the view if you have to ask then the photos is not doing its job

Just to clarify, all entries come to me and I rename them poty2_x_y.jpg where x is month and y is entry number. I then create a thread just like the results thread but with all the images just labelled "image 1", "image 2" etc. Then the judges take over and discuss/judge the entries, give their own short bit of critique and their positions. I then add up each image's points and rank them in order before duplicating the results thread, re-ordering the images and adding the comments.

It's a good question.

Yes, the purists might say if you have to explain a shot then it's not the shot you were aiming for but sometimes, I beleive a short explanation of the what and why can really contextualise a shot. This would be no more than you see in say, the Landscape Photographer of the Year books, where each photographer has a couple of sentences explaining the shot/their thinking etc.

I think a short piece of text should be a requirement with an entry where critique is an essential component of how the winning images are then presented back to the forum. At the very least a description of the interpretation of the theme, sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not (air ambulances for Faith?).

With the titles being stripped from entries, is it assumed that the title will always be the theme?

An interesting question. My picture of the helicopter, the air ambulance. I would have thought this would have come across as fitting the theme, I associate faith with the emergency services and saving lives. Having done nearly 2 years of shooting to themes with the 52 week project, I know how subjective theme interpretations can be. Not everyone thinks like each other.

Back to the question, perhaps it is a good idea but I'm not totally sure it wuld be worth going with., but I suppose if your image is going to come in the top, you wouldn't have to explain why it fits the theme? But then there is nothing wrong with a picture and a short description why you think it fit's the theme.

After all, the competition is here to help us improve our photography with or without the a description.

Hmmmm, difficult one......on balance I think a couple of sentences may be beneficial....everyone has a different way of showing emotion based themes such as faith - some obvious some not quite so . Photography is quite an subject art form I think .
I'm sure many would say the image should speak for itself, I've certainly found in the 52's that occasionally a line or 2 to explain what/why does help you to see the image more in relation to the theme....if that makes sense ? The crit I suspect is still going to be based more on the technical side - exposure , dead space, pp etc etc

Just my thoughts :)

I think a short description is sometime a good thing, if you are think outside the box on a theme it is sometimes a good idea to explain your thinking. People don't always see what you see and what you were thinking. Last year I had a couple of entries that I didn't want to do the same as everyone else so produced something a little different and because people didn't see what I was thinking they didn't do very well.

Two of the sections we are judging against are does it fit the theme and creativity. If the image doesn't shout theme a few words may help improve your scores in them areas.

If the submitted photo had to have some kind of text, then i would opt for maybe a title, but totally against a short description. The picture should say it all without words and agree with Gramps about not having a level playing field. Some people are good with words which may enhance an average photo and could also work the other way. Surely we have to remember this is a photography competition. If the Judges are unsure of a certain photo and its link to the current theme, then couldnt a moderator contact the entrant and ask for a brief description to where the entry fits in with the theme?

Im waffling now ..... :exit:

Could be an optional thing rather than compulsory.
Some shots wont need it, on the other hand waffling on too much might detract from the image.
If you feel it will help then add a short explanation, otherwise just let the picture do the talking ;)

I think we're edging into the question of, "Is Photography Art?". If it is Art, then the photographer should have no difficulty putting together a sentance or two about the image. If you can't put together a couple of sentances, is it a photograph or a snap?

I'd say no to detailed explanatory text. It'd detract from the skill of interpreting the theme.

But, i reckon a title could be a good idea. I think we were able to do that in the 2010 POTY

My immediate reaction was no as the photo should do all the talking and that's how I voted. But upon further thought of different, possibly unconventional interpretations on the theme, I'm gonna change my mind and offer that a cleverly worded title or brief sentence might be helpful for some images to get recognition for their aptness to the defining title.

so whats the outcome on this:)

do we put a title and a description or submit and hope for the best:thinking:

Whoops. Sorry I didn't answer the above question....

Anyway YES we are going to try a title with the Nov-Dec POTY2 competition. For details see the Nov-Dec thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back