Power lines

Edit My Images
No
In posts elsewhere people talk about removing power lines with Photoshop. Doing this with clone stamp is a bit tedious, not to say difficult in some cases - is there a neater way?

Demolish the pylons first?:coat:

:LOL:
Oi you bunch of bullys.....

nibsco,
If you can't avoid having them in the shot in the first place, the clone stamp is the best way (that I know), once you have done it a few times you can do it a bit quicker.

Most of the time I will try to compose the shot to not include them and if I can't, I wont take the photo.

:LOL:
Oi you bunch of bullys.....

No problem:) It seems it was a silly question, but I'm constantly surprised at what's possible in PS.

I live on Skye, where all the local power is run via telegraph poles. They're everywhere. I'm not fit enough these days to go finding unhindered viewpoints.

But thanks anyway.

This is what I do, it's really easy.

1. Duplicate layer
  2. Use spot healing brush, (sample all layers, small brush, mode normal, Proximity match)
  3. Drag along power line. If its a straight line, then hold down shift key, click at start of line, click at end of line, Release shift.
  4. Flatten image.

Well, many thanks for that hillwalkinggirl -a degree of vindication for my post I think!;)

This is what I do, it's really easy.

1. Duplicate layer
  2. Use spot healing brush, (sample all layers, small brush, mode normal, Proximity match)
  3. Drag along power line. If its a straight line, then hold down shift key, click at start of line, click at end of line, Release shift.
  4. Flatten image.

What's the reason for duplicating the layer in the first place?

What's the reason for duplicating the layer in the first place?

In case you mess it up, you've always got the original layer. Also if there's just one bit of the edited layer you want to change you can add a layer mask to the duplicated layer, and then paint on the mask with black to change the edit. In other words it's non destructive editing.

Wouldn't undo and the history brush do the same thing?

It does, but I'm the same, I always do any edits/adjustments on separate layers and merge them when I'm ready to commit to the changes.

Not really, because you are limited to the number of undos, and you have to go back in the same order that you did it. Masking is a much more versatile method. You can change as little or as much as you need, and if you change your mind just paint on the mask with white to get back.

Ok, I understand the reasoning, it just seems a little extreme for spot healing a few wires. Must be my old age, I grew up with DPaint where a single undo was a luxury :LOL:

Just to say thanks again to hillwalkinggirl - getting better than expected results.
Another useful PS lesson learned!:)

Back