Power Mac G5 build - I'm mad!

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
No
So I've finally caved! I love the look of the G5 case and have been wanting to do a case mod since I did my first build a year or so ago.
So I decided it would be a good idea to combine the two!

Picked up a faulty G5 (spares or repair) which was in reasonable nick and I've got a few odds and ends in terms of components kicking about:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M
Processor: Intel i5 2550K
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Crucial Ballistix
GPU: EVGA 660 Ti
PSU: OCZ ZT 550W

Apologies I'm without a camera just now so it'll be phone pics, I've not snapped all the gear going in as yet but I'm gonna outline my plan as far as I have it.

The case:
20178760bff0f94587b364f83edbeeef.png

994d21d37214865868ccdf807ba31963.png

My plan is to keep the two separate compartments and use try to keep modifications to the back panel to a minimum. I'm hoping to be able to fit the PSU in Apple's PSU enclosure and possibly have a fan sitting on top of a cut out above the PSU to cool it, but if I can keep it cool using quieter fans at on the PSU enclosure I will do that instead.

I've got a few things on order for making things look nice inside, I'm hoping to sleeve all the power cables individually in white (never done it before so this may not go well!). If I can't get the fitted front panel switches and ports to work my plan is to cut out that panel and fit a fan controller of some sort and put a vandal proof switch on which should still look pretty sharp.

I'll probably come up with some other ideas along the way but I'm hoping for a nice clean looking build without completely wrecking the case! I reckon if I put this up as a build log I'll be forced to do it rather than giving up half way through :)

Currently disassembling the case and cleaning it up, gonna see about measuring up the IO shield placement and motherboard positioning tomorrow :)

Any thoughts/advice welcomed :)

Last edited:
Nice case... Never played inside an Apple, but looks like you have some good ideas.

Nice case... Never played inside an Apple, but looks like you have some good ideas.

Everything is ass backwards in this case (maybe the same for other Apple cases too!) Never had to do so much to remove a freaking motherboard!

I'm probably going to have to sort out a way to open the CD/DVD drive since it seems the G5's tray was opened in the software which is a bit of a pain. Might decide to go against fitting a DVD drive altogether and use that bit for something else more useful...

Just the PSU and cables remain in the case (some are stuck under the hard drive cage that I can't seem to remove even though I've taken out all the screws and can't find any other clips...) Oh well, a challenge for tomorrow!

I can't seem to remove even though I've taken out all the screws and can't find any other clips...
It will be the Apple pixies holding it in... ;) :D

by the way theres a project on the same thing over on ocuk, dont know if this will help you..

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18506465

I've been looking around at a few G5 mods but never came across that one, that motherboard tray looks like a good idea... I'll have a think about how I'm gonna get everything once I've got the case completely gutted and cleaned up. Not sure I want a side window but it would seem a bit of a waste if I get the inside looking nice but no one can see it!

If I was going to do a window I'd be tempted to try to make it like a windows logo with 4 different windows with red, blue, green and yellow perspex on the corresponding hole... Just to **** off the fanboys :D

I've also got white ATX connectors for all the visible connections on order which I think will look a bit better than black :confused: But jeez his build is almost exactly the same!

Last edited:
ab494678a9d4e9aee2c76730f9e497bf.png

Case is completely empty now, clean with all the stickers off too. Trying to figure how to do the back panel. I just noticed this morning that Apple's motherboard isn't rectangular, so while normally your IO shield is level with the PCI plates, Apple have decided to have their IO shield further back away from the front of the case and their PCI plate closer to the front. Not a huge difference, just enough to make it awkward you know?
34ef58dada9cb2a1c570f2e72eb968eb.png

To combat this I've decided to gut an old m-ATX case and I'll use the motherboard tray and the back panel from this to make everything work as it should and still look good. I've dusted off the rivet gun as well so hopefully it should look pretty swish once fitted :)

I'm in the middle of doing exactly the same, except I'm putting an ATX MB (Asus Sabretooth X79+17-3960) into a Powermac G5, like you I've used an old ATX Case for the back panel, motherboard tray. I'll be putting a post/images up this evening, it will be interesting to compare/contrast progress.

BTW, Halfords Very High Temperature Aluminium Paint (around £7 odd) is an excellent match to Apples, not perfect but near enough, I've used it to spray back panel/tray.

Also I have a wiring diagram for the Mac's front panel switches and connection to ATX MB if you need it.

Good luck :)

I'm in the middle of doing exactly the same, except I'm putting an ATX MB (Asus Sabretooth X79+17-3960) into a Powermac G5, like you I've used an old ATX Case for the back panel, motherboard tray. I'll be putting a post/images up this evening, it will be interesting to compare/contrast progress.

BTW, Halfords Very High Temperature Aluminium Paint (around £7 odd) is an excellent match to Apples, not perfect but near enough, I've used it to spray back panel/tray.

Also I have a wiring diagram for the Mac's front panel switches and connection to ATX MB if you need it.

Good luck :)

I fancied putting a full size ATX board in but I can't bring myself to remove the shelf, I love having different compartments!

Good call on the paint, gonna pick up a can later today, should help things stay neat!

That wiring diagram would be really handy if you fancy sharing it :) I know you can get adapters online but that kinda takes the fun away in my view!

Managed to bugger a jigsaw blade and can't for the life of me find another one in my tool kit, so progress might be hampered today since I'm waiting in for a delivery. I'm looking forward to seeing how your build's going too :)

Couldn't face tackling anything after work on Saturday and spent yesterday and today putting down some decking so really limited progress I'm afraid! I finally managed to get a straight cut on the motherboard tray and rounded the corners. I've also sanded down and spray painted the back panel section I'll be using. It looks fantastic though I've not yet compared it to the colour of the case but like Les said it seems to be a really good match.

My plan for tomorrow is to nip down to B&Q and stock up on some fresh dremel blades (burned through so many tonight!) test fit the motherboard tray & back panel to see where I want to have it. I'll then cut the back panel and fit the replacement back panel. If I have the time I'll also do a quick check to make sure everything is working as I expect it to be.

Things to do:
Waiting for delivery of cable sleeving kit and other useful gizmos
DVD drive needs some figuring
Reassemble upper level divider (have to hold fire till cables are sleeved)
Fit PSU into mac PSU enclosure

Progress likely to be a bit slow till after the weekend but after that things should progress quickly - and hopefully I'll have more photos too!

Things to do:
Waiting for delivery of cable sleeving kit and other useful gizmos
DVD drive needs some figuring
!
I've decided to do without A DVD drive in my G5 mod, it's very rare I use one, and I've got USB DVD drive kicking around if I ever need one.

Your project is looking good, and you are spot on about getting through equipment, I don't have a dremel but I've trashed a few hacksaw blades and drill bits over the last few days.

Haven't done as much as I'd have liked to by now but I should be able to give it a fair go this week coming.

Got the back panel figured out to some extent, motherboard tray fitted but need to attach a couple of filler bits of metal onto the back panel because of the way everything was positioned. I reckon I should be able to secure it in and make it look passable!

Sleeving kit arrived, but my white heatshrink is too small for the individual sleeves so I'm waiting for delivery of 1/4 inch.

The photo actually exaggerates how obvious the motherboard tray is (it really isn't but I didn't want to make it any smaller or I felt it would be too flimsy - there was already a lot of flex before I trimmed it!)

735e4a0c9369e5f456b723911cf8f851.png

I'll probably use some kind of metal putty to fill in where the stand offs were with a little bit of paint to tidy it up.

Butchered back panel:

2b09c79217c37f7989955f78c950f3b7.png

That is looking good, nice & clean (y)

Back