Powerline Link Speed - Conundrum

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a TPLink Powerline path through to my study. All the interfaces are GigE and should, therefore, support up to 1Gbps. However, to my desktop I never achieve anything above 100Mbs.

I'm copying some large files (in excess of 300MB each). I realise I'm at the mercy of the path and the Read/Write speed of the disks. The recipient disk is an SSD so there is no problem there. The Source files are from a RAIDed NAS (not SSD) but, I've conducted the same test using a direct CAT5e cable to a different computer (laptop) and I achieve around 750Mbs. This leaves me suspect either the Powerline of the Desktop LAN card.

As you can see below everything should work to a higher rate but it doesn't happen

Any ideas?

Speed Duplex

speedduplex.jpg

Ethernet Card Speed

card-speed.jpg

Powerline Link Rate Achieved

tp-linkrate.jpg

LAN Throughput at Desktop

ethernet-thruput.jpg

Last edited:
I've just connected directly to my router through a spare GigE switch (the only way I had cables long enough). Now that works at around 725Mbs.:)

The question is, am I being unrealistic in expecting to achieve something greater than 100Mbs? I appreciate the overheads and noise corrections/rejections are immense - but this great?

powerline stuff is good but really unreliable to get max speed.
best way to check is put both adapters on the same ring in the same room and do some tests.
Then move them around the house and see what happens.

I seem to remember reading in one of the sets of instructions that came with some power link plugs I bought (D-Link I think) that the transfer speed is governed by the speed of the slowest device attached to either end of the connection

I seem to remember reading in one of the sets of instructions that came with some power link plugs I bought (D-Link I think) that the transfer speed is governed by the speed of the slowest device attached to either end of the connection
The link rate might be. I had gig switches either end and still only got 80mbps.

Thanks for all your responses - much appreciated.

I've reached pretty much the same conclusion. These devices are 1200Mbs - I can only assume the correction overheads are colossal.

As @neil_g has found even with GigE switches at each end it was still a slow rate.

The best I achieved today (under a more controlled test) was 99.7Mbs. Still, 12 years ago I was still working with Token rings!

Once again - thanks.

At the risk of asking a stupid question (I use powerline adaptors too), is this a case of Mbits/s v Mbytes/s?

At the risk of asking a stupid question (I use powerline adaptors too), is this a case of Mbits/s v Mbytes/s?

No, I've stated bits per second throughout.

I've got a pair of Devolo 650s connecting the living room to the switch in my work room and I was delighted when I got 150Mb/s throughput. It was the first time I'd seen over 100Mb/s from powerline kit.

I had a pair years ago when they first came out to connect my office at the top of my 105 years old Victorian terrace and they were very reliable and seemed super fats.
But then I would do a big file copy and bamm max out as you say. Is there any way you can get a wire from A to B?

Is there any way you can get a wire from A to B

Not without ripping up flooring and stuff.... this cottage is 122 years old. I'm sure you can empathize ;)

Not without ripping up flooring and stuff.... this cottage is 122 years old. I'm sure you can empathize ;)

yeah for sure, mine has full cellars underneath so I can go all around the ground floor, to get my wires upstairs wasn't to bad as I used the underneath of the stairs in the void.

I've got a pair of Devolo 650s connecting the living room to the switch in my work room and I was delighted when I got 150Mb/s throughput. It was the first time I'd seen over 100Mb/s from powerline kit.

Do you mean 150Mbps?

Back