PP'ing help required please........

Edit My Images
Yes
.......this Puffin needs a wing tip!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: :LOL:

Posted for a bit of fun, feel free to have a go, I've added the canvas just needs a wing, I nearly stuck a Gannet wing in for a laugh :D

The strong winds were blowing the birds closer and higher up the cliffs than I've ever seen at Flamborough. Gutted I clipped the wing on this @360mm but I couldn't zoom in quick enough.

Thankfully I did get a few keepers but still over here, will go through them back home at me monitor :)

Resized.jpg

Last edited:
The easiest way to do this Phil is with the wing tip out of another shot from the same sequence.

That might sound daft because you'd just use that shot instead but maybe the head position was not as good or it was not as critically sharp or it had the other wing cut off etc would mean you prefer the posted one.

The discarded one that has a usable wing can easily be put into this one.

The easiest way to do this Phil is with the wing tip out of another shot from the same sequence.

That might sound daft because you'd just use that shot instead but maybe the head position was not as good or it was not as critically sharp or it had the other wing cut off etc would mean you prefer the posted one.

The discarded one that has a usable wing can easily be put into this one.

Thanks Craig, the post was more 'tongue in cheek', I was expecting a few humorous comments like 'its not half bad' or 'at least there's no wing tip blur' but it appears to have fallen flat :LOL:

I'm impressed! (y) At least it won't fly round in circles now :D

Thanks for the edit Mick, as said, more for a bit of fun. I'm not opposed to a bit of cloning object from backgrounds to clean them up but I'm afraid this will probably end up in the bin, it was more of 'the one that got away, kind of post :)

Thanks. I only did it to see if I could.
Don't try and enter it in a competition.....the bird folk will flay you (and me) alive.

Superb! I was thinking more of a splint and bandage :D

Just out of curiosity, not like I'm going to do it :whistle: But could you say how you've done that?

I would say I'm more intermediate than beginner at PP'ing , Im guessing you made a mirror image of the bottom wing, layered the two shots then brush the wing in? thanks

Edit- actually, taking a closer look, (I'm only on me lappy) it doesn't look like you've done what I thought, still impressive though :)

Last edited:
I would say I'm more intermediate than beginner at PP'ing , Im guessing you made a mirror image of the bottom wing, layered the two shots then brush the wing in? thanks
More or less.
Increase canvas size by 25% then fill in background either with the clone tool or magic wand>new layer>transform and stretch.
Select bottom wing with magic wand.
New Layer.
Control T
Flip upside down.
Move into position and resize to fit as appropriate.
Then I used a mask on the wing layer just to tidy up and blend in.
Flatten image. Bingo.

More or less.
Increase canvas size by 25% then fill in background either with the clone tool or magic wand>new layer>transform and stretch.
Select bottom wing with magic wand.
New Layer.
Control T
Flip upside down.
Move into position and resize to fit as appropriate.
Then I used a mask on the wing layer just to tidy up and blend in.
Flatten image. Bingo.

Thanks for that Mick, I will give it a go later, at least it would be another PP'ing technique under me belt

Superb! I was thinking more of a splint and bandage :D

Just out of curiosity, not like I'm going to do it :whistle: But could you say how you've done that?

Edit- actually, taking a closer look, (I'm only on me lappy) it doesn't look like you've done what I thought, still impressive though :)

Basically same as Mickeldore:
  1. Basic structure - Flipped, rotated and scaled to 'rebuild' top wing . In this case, two selections from bottom wing - one of wing tip feathers and one of the leading edge of the wing - basically use as many parts as needed to get the shape approximately right. Set the transparency of the cloned layers to say 50% to help achieve this, then set back up to 100%
  2. Refine - Both cloned layers masked to paint in more or less of the areas as necessary.
  3. Flattened the image and then used liquify to further reduce the size of the wing tip (on the basis it's further away), and slightly adjust the shape of the tip so it's more 'compressed' that the near by wing because it just looked more natural (this coming from someone who has no idea!). All very small changes.

Furtim was a bit more "professional" than mine (and a bit better). I just ran it off quickly to see what could be done.
With Photoshop there is always more than one way of doing any work. Just use the one that suits you best.

Basically same as Mickeldore:
  1. Basic structure - Flipped, rotated and scaled to 'rebuild' top wing . In this case, two selections from bottom wing - one of wing tip feathers and one of the leading edge of the wing - basically use as many parts as needed to get the shape approximately right. Set the transparency of the cloned layers to say 50% to help achieve this, then set back up to 100%
  2. Refine - Both cloned layers masked to paint in more or less of the areas as necessary.
  3. Flattened the image and then used liquify to further reduce the size of the wing tip (on the basis it's further away), and slightly adjust the shape of the tip so it's more 'compressed' that the near by wing because it just looked more natural (this coming from someone who has no idea!). All very small changes.

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated (y)

@Furtim @mickledore

Thanks chaps, the shot was always going to go in the bin, even with the added bit of wing it's never going to look right.........:thinking: .....although it may become one of those close cropped 'artistic' bif shots :D

Just to prove I listen, I've had a go, nowt like as hard as I though, just didn't make the canvas big enough and couldn't be bothered doing it again :rolleyes: :D

It was good to practise on and I've learnt another technique, cheers

Puffin resized for TP.jpg

Back