Practical Photography vs Digital Photo

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Happy New Year everyone!

Santa brought me a subscription to either of the above magazines. I'll have a leaf through both, but interested to hear other's opinions on either mag before I commit......

Cheers!

Which is more relevant for how you shoot?

From when I used to read them, Practical Photography was more technique based, while Digital Photo was more about the Photoshopping / Post Processing aspect. The magazines compliment each other.

Going back a few years now, so things may have changed. :)

Much depends on the equipment you have - some of the Digital magazines will focus on the newer Nikon or Canon models' features, so with a 350D you'll be at a disadvantage. Same applies if you don't use the more recent versions of PS or PSE....personally I'd go with PP.

PP for me too. At least they cover a few filmy type things. Not that I use film now but I do still have a few bodies!

whatever you do, get the one that talks about photography rather than camera gear. It's all about thought process and setting up before the shutter is released.

so far, sounds like Practical Photography is the better magazine.

I subscribe to digital photo and I think its great but that's mostly as I use the tutorials etc and photoshop lessons are where I wanted to benefit. Good all round imho

I used to buy both at one point, preferred Practical, as photoshop tutorials are easily found on youtube and I prefer to sit and read about photography rather than processing. I like doing both just as much perhaps, but reading is different.

+1 for Digital Photo from me. I prefer the journalistic style and suits me better. Try em both before deciding though.

I've always bought Practical Photography. There seems to be lots more in it every month, and it's more varied imho.

Though they both have Photoshop guides, the Digital Photo guides always seemed to be gimmicky type things, and the Practical Photography topics were generally more useful. Recently, either because they feel they have covered the basics of Photoshop or the thing that people want the gimmicks. they are drifting more towards the Digital Photo mag guides. :bonk:

Best way to decide is to go into a shop and see which you prefer.

Thanks for everyone's feedback - from what I've read, I'm erring towards PP, but I'll have a look at both first on the shelf (although I noticed DP was wrapped in cellophane - grr, don't make me actually BUY a copy, WH Smith....).

Back