Pre Washing Tri-X before developing

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Got all my bits and pieces for home developing so keen to get on and give it a go.

Someone elsewhere suggested pre-washing before adding developer for Kodak Tri-X.

Is this required or just develop as normal.

Cheers.

I never found any difference using a prewash. It's not essential by any means.

I've never pre-washed either.

Not heard of pre-washing.

I’ve led a sheltered life.

Some films (which I've never used, having also lead a sheltered life) have a lot of dye in the anti-halation backing which has to be removed. If you don't prewash these, the developer (and, possibly to a lesser extent) the fixer will become coloured. As far as I know, this wouldn't have any effect.

The arguments for pre washing otherwise revolve round getting the film wet (to avoid air bubbles) and getting the film and tank up to developing temperature.

Like others, I've never prewashed.

I do tend to pre-wash/soak all my films now. I can’t remember what film it was but do recall seeing the developer turn a very strange shade of green one time so I now do it as part of the routine.
I have no idea whether this is, in any way, beneficial but I do it anyway.

The anti-halation dye does no harm to either the developer or the fixer. The last time I checked, non of the film makers recommended pre-washing the film.

It's worth it for gp3 in 120 other wise the ink from the backing paper can get baked in but never bothered for anything else.

I do tend to pre-wash/soak all my films now. I can’t remember what film it was but do recall seeing the developer turn a very strange shade of green one time so I now do it as part of the routine.
I have no idea whether this is, in any way, beneficial but I do it anyway.
Fomapan 400, Nick? :eek:

20190930_165647_resized-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers chaps for the answers.

I'll try with no pre washing and see how it goes (y)

Pre-washing releases surface tension on the film and helps to stop any air bubbles forming when the developer is applied, ie something damp or wet will absorb water quicker and more evenly when damp or wet. It also enables you to get the film up to developing temperature before the developer is poured in. It is something we always do when we are shooting film for one reason or another. Pre-washing is something I would thoroughly recommend.

George.

Massive dev chart recommends a pre-wash for Fomapan, IIRC. I does indeed come out very green. I remember doing a pre-wash for the solitary Rollei film (Superpan 400 I think) which came out black. I think some of the Tmax films the developer comes out pink, so I might consider a pre-wash for them, but I don't tend to use them anyway.

I've found a few posts saying pre-wash used to be recommended, for older emulsions (eg pre-2000), but isn't needed now for various technical reasons. I also came across this in a post in a thread from 2007:

"Pre-soaking will make the formation of bubbles almost impossible when you pour the developer in. Yes, it does also help even developoment (especially for short develolping times), and it may reduce contrast (though I can't verify that).

"But if the film is already wet when the developer is poured in, then bubbles will not be able to form on the film's surface because of the surface tension created by the water already there. And if you've ever had a negative ruined by a bubble that formed for the first 20-30 seconds of development onthe film's surface then you'll be glad to pre-soak you film."

I've never pre-washed my Tri-X with no visible ill effects, however.

Back