Predict the future of Digital Photography

DJW

Edit My Images
Yes
With the speed of change in technology I wondered what others thought would be the big changes in Digital Photgrapghy in the next 10-20 years. I'll kick it off :-

RAW to include APERTURE
Assuming storage & chip technology continue to advance at such a pace, I would imagine it will soon be possible to store the distance of each pixel/s in the RAW data, allowing you to change the aperture in PS. In an ideal world you would obviously want the lens to be fixed at pretty high f/stop to allow all of image to be in focus as starting point.

Gap between Video Camera & DSLRs to diminish
As storage becomes cheaper & larger in size, at some point you will be able to shoot so many frames per sec on DSLR that you have the equivalent of a Video camera. You'd never miss that split second shot then ;)

Pixel count to increase to such a point, there is no need for zoom lenses.
If you had a sensor that could capture way more pixels than required. you could crop shots dramatically to get equivalent zoom shots. Would obviously require very sharp optics in first place.

OK, I'm sure holes can be picked in the above, but I'm sure the concepts will appear in some form or another. Over to others for their views.

WOW...never seen or heard of that before....I'll cancel the patent ;)

DJW said:
Gap between Video Camera & DSLRs to diminish
As storage becomes cheaper & larger in size, at some point you will be able to shoot so many frames per sec on DSLR that you have the equivalent of a Video camera. You'd never miss that split second shot then ;)

It's starting to happen.....This camera can capture 11.5 megapixel RAW images at speeds of up to 60 frames-per-second :- http://www.ephotozine.com/news/fullnews.cfm?NewsID=2944

ISO
A sensor designed to produce an ultra low noise image at an ultra high ISO (12800+)

Yeah, I think once we get some proper understanding of HDR processing and software manufacturers make some better alogorithims, we'll see it becoming a lot more useful for landscape stuff. Obviously it's not going to affect sports/candid photography too greatly unless they can keep the noise down, which is a bit annoying at the moment.

meh, I like noise! I'm starting to detest these super-clean landscape images I see.

predictions for the future......

If i told you I'd have to give up my patents pending ;)

petemc said:
Hdr :) <- Oi! Stop lowercasing my acronyms! :p

:LOL: sorry mate, it's the anti-shouting feature of vBulletin ;)

Back