Premier Elements 14 juddery slow motion

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone offer advice on why my Gopro footage is juddery when slowed down in Premier Elements 14? There is no problem with real-time footage.

Gopro 5 Black.
Res.1080
ISO 400
FPS 50
Stabilization Off

Are you using windows 10 with windows defender then? Just got that sorted today. bet you also are running another antivirus program as well. I was and could not transfer photos from elements to computer without a virus warning stopping it. Tturning off realtime in defender has a time limit before it switches back ons
I had this problem with AVAST anti virus running.

slowing down frame rate too much may be the cause , if possible record at a higher frame rate before trying to slow it down. looking at the spec I can't find one can alter the frame rate sorry

One of the problems is what a camera is capable of, try and go beyond that and you realise the camera limit

As for juddereing i had this with my nextbase 312GW dashcame.. I did a compatibility check and found it was running in windows 8 so altered that to run in windows 7 and that worked. I had an earlier version of the dashcam and that juddered badly as well.

Hope this sorts your problem out
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this out as well this evening for those interested

Ok found the solution for a Nextbase 312GW causing video to jump.

The Micro SD card needs upgradeing to take the latest dashcam version.

This is done by formatting the card- downloading the lastest version -transferring onto micro SD card.

This is where I went wrong

I power the nextbase 312GW via the computer and inserted the micro SD card into the unit.

Wrong as doing it this way sends the information into the what is called "Mass storage" and not the unit proper

So what you have to do is this

This is done by formatting the card- downloading the lastest version -transferring onto micro SD card.As before

Now instead of using the computer to power it up you either need to use a power source from the car--or-- using a mains plug with a USB 2 outlet.

Doing it this way bypasses the "Mass storage" feature and puts the information fron the micro SD card into the correct section of the dashcam memory.

Neil this may apply to your problem as well they way the memory has been added to your camera.

Last edited:
Are your sequence settings corrected?

If you have dragged the video from a Bin onto "New Sequence" then it'll create a sequence based on that video's details (ie, 1920x1080 @ 50fps...)

Double check your sequence settings and that the Frame Rate is set to 25fps.

you could try is

get your video onto elements
drag from project assests onto video and audio
wided the render bar
go to tools
go to time remapping
add time zone
slow down to a slower speed
and see what that looks like

I'm assuming I'm right in thinking that if I shoot at 50fps and slow it down by 1/2 I'm now viewing at 25fps? Could it be that 25fps is too slow and that's why it appears juddery. I have just shot at 120fps and slowed it down by 1/2 and that appears fine.

The shutter speed should be at least double that of the frame speed.
If you have found a solution that suits you then stick with it.
My camcorder records at 50 fps an is fixed at that, the only alteration I can do is increase/decrease shutter speed so usually I set that at 125 fps for smoother videos. but that also depends on light available. there is no hard and fast rule so as I said what suits

Another consideration is how you are taking the videos head on or panning ,
I do have more flexability with my Nikon 800/810 cameras but I generally don't use those for videos

Last edited:
Ah! Now that's something I haven't taken into account, yes I was moving the gopro. I am in the process of building a motorised slider and was manually sliding it along a 1.2mtr long rail.

Back