Preparing and distributing prints - some questions

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
I am planning on having some of my images printed via DSCL (after some basic samples these were the best quality) and was looking for some advice when it comes preparing the images for printing and preparing the prints for distribution...

From what I have been reading up on I am still unsure as to whether I'm better selling the prints pre-mounted or just the actual prints themselves. I wont be dealing in frames so ideally I'd like my images to be as easy to frame as possible for customers. If I do indeed decide to mount my prints am I best accounting for the size of the mount when resizing my image in Photoshop? for example if I am printing in A3 and using a 2 inch mount (all sides) am I best resizing the image to have a 2 inch 'blank space' around all 4 sides so that when the image is printed I have some blank space to accomodate the mount?

Obviously if I am distributing images without a mount I can easily use a tough poster tube for postage purposes but if an image is pre-mounted does anyone have any recommendations as to the best sort of protective packaging that can be used? Obviously something affordable would be preferable :)

FWIW I will mostly be printing and distributing A3 and A4 sized images.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated!

A4 is probably better packaged flat in a card backed envelope with extra card/board to protect it even more - rolled can leave prints liable to curl. You can get A3 card backed envelopes but I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to assorted carriers.

I surmise there is limit to the flat size you can send before the size and cost of doing so become prohibitive, let alone the risk of damage.

Re: rolled into tubes ~ IMO if using tubes make them big enough diameter to reduce the effect of the curl. Roll them with an interleave of acid free tissue paper and to reduce the print moving in the tube make sure to stuff/fill the ends with light weight 'packing materials'.

Back