Preparing photo for canon selphy

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there, sorry if this has been talked about before but i couldn't find much in the search option.
I got myself a selply cp1200.
Any tips and tip on printing photo?
What ratio should I crop my picture to get them ready to print. I can see a bit of the side will be lost after cutting border but i'd like to keep not crop anything at the top and bottom.

Any tips welcome, first couple (edited with lightroom, put on a usb stick, printed) came out pretty cropped, a bit dark, laking vibrance and a bit cold. So I do need to do some fiddling about to get it a bit better :-/

The print area as see in the printer specs is 148mm x 100mm i.e ratio of 1.48 : 1

Therefore depending on what software you are using you be able to create a custom crop @ that ratio?

PS
The imperial equivalent is 5.82" x 3.93"
Thus if you wish to print at max 300dpi resolution the pixel dimensions would be 1746 x 1179

Last edited:
Really struggling with the little selphy.
I found this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYRoReX68zQ&feature=emb_logo

Where the guys suggest size of canvas and margins to work perfectly.
But with the CP1200 i do not get a chance to make custom size pages i can only select predefined size which results in a lot of crop top and bottom.

Also the colours are awefully cold and pale compare to my calibrated monitor... I mean about 1500K difference.

Can you connect the printer directly to the PC and print from that point?

As for the crop/ratio, I was not referring to what the selphy offers but more in regard to your preparing the file for print in LR it other software.

Sorry if I have misunderstood anything.....I have not watched the video but does the model 1300 have more settings built in than the 1200?

In regard to the odd change in WB etc how do you images print on other printers e.g. your inkjet???

Thanks for your help. A few of the issues are sorted.
1)I manage to install the celphy on my computer so it is now running either by usb or wifi

2)temperature: I have redone a full calibration of my screen which i didn't do for a long time. I have run another test which look much better in term of temperature.

3)crop, i don't know what I have done but it seem 99% good now only using the bordeless setting offer in the page setup from lightroom, anyway it seem impossible to input some custom size
there is still 1% wrong and this because each picture seem to go a tiny squint, so i create a small white line left and bottom about 1mm thick at the largest, no idea if there is any chance to fix this every picture come the same

4) brightness, picture are a little bit darker not too bad really

So really the only issue i have to really sort is why the print not perfectly aligned with the paper so i get a white line at left and bottom and it is going over on top and right.

zcCeNe4Tq3nkkVrGkyiikp2bPoxcJL2Z_Bwa08rznrYbC4JUukJeDwbD2yvtIQQF5OJYQIJpMRuZcTA_Gevo14IBeBKNQZ2NUxMBiJAfnwncZfoJm1G_F5YBFxL-7XrvqwVDQB4btmELko69WAbDOAOkTzPjgncawfBJ21nPuEOy2803iD7S6iRUYVKcExrLUAv4zVX6k8b24Zbm5u5pSH2RWkyaBjfrkrEwu9fmyFVjXxmE7bs5gHqSCEDw19EgULF77cUb2_myPyPKBnIxEHEOztMjV0RKJWhRmfoZMBM0qJdK506qyBsS6Vk3owv4pfkm7ClsMWdQJ_a611tfFIEt-DDfob7OJmB1X3PE9aLKw40frQwJPOsXxJuL-CjxE89cLOWceHAYUik1YY6Z980jwV0IntNB4JiMV8t94VQSxJcKHyg0Hgi9k_7cWn4hIXDHz3_gdKPVEsAqnwPCwicIPFzVS8DfRFULPllr9Vwd6P_uaXi19o0zC-4xU2sjO6BxqDXY1xtIJrrMiUn9uk3vKH3UaTvIyR1sEfXCI9mVsHySPwSDkLRvc_Zf33TQzetMfcoAbdYRJjofMJpY7SNb5355hXMlSDq7B1El3o_I14G5HDvjYJWrwYOeySLVgj_CelglpR_NSpjzwpgOdh5EFBj3XXvZrV15VOh6yBuPXEtT7Ztl6Qbn4Xn1lw=w1464-h765-no

i061yXR5PUkyiO_ZdSizsKS_F4P2pRcKRwpwzMYpAE5nyX3uN5Xxy_RNCOOk0M-xFFa8BHJRDjjguiRin6PU4xOkqZozmm_NbiKAqJ43lCabBOyMgFr9Foqs3sSkYLuBn3vuLb1_Qu76j16xVoi10tM8mmf6hycso-uMD275_pBb6isUnkdTsU281wHf7Klxi1xgVpnDp2_3czcq7_WhIe-1unUiiHTMt9kzZwZpdels-R-qaZzf1AMsw86s547IcwKcxEO-n6IzbbILv1CCn9-c3ngXFscF_q6M8xS6QUaV_J5Ys2oUvnYkQ9itdFD3j2PI0NU25mkojJPwR_5Ta3ezJqETBeiFnxAYNtZb090Ta_PalOGCqNrgFxAoPFSGy3j5rGAkThowhWvuw3HeM7MmATb-oJhQ-amhxukCrMcCg7CKySfgYzhZluigogfFfEmtNUGY6ANfm2G2jUa0O3sCr8yYu3zAhelF5kaGRunTuH0uskfp5YkeeGI3eyIcrFRBvrPfxcnK-vuUKx19ubLcI59gka6K_7IlXItvQN0DaCWk8WAT-sU2_O9N69T-gEmX07Ebf9O5MNxCK1QeHWIkZx80HNejOssKYLA8m_9sXFmUsnxYgJ97ZB17cuLklJSU5MMl6h_Xrxxk_mL4xgtn42NSzlu-3AszyXufWshA9OGQzxNJCZkfrhl3Mw=w1600-h1200-no

Ay6I_R5XyEQpRpQ8xVMnbdFDhcQP1mu0t44BAKG0Cxh3fne1L1BisaxgY5idOYnUz0CGaZ3HEQCwORwoTG2gd9is2-va_InA08RdLwZH9tWKKQ4WfBuZe-6ZBSTsaQAQHYKHV2LEXBSEC8JNI4ws8sA35VzGnmvq0PZD-Ncj9Z8tNsk65j4BNl-vgdUzjlVFFOB0IZ-X56FK2SEshQFObxBX_oAmhfmswnzpcJAifOXtZ67Hsc-4c-w2KWGSb_NbvG523aIlQhfTbrppfYsnp-F0xfYViMKcB6-FdSw3IMXLHvyIYqXtrN6wydsYyGeRuaB5nmaLoTCLiXZrUQijBxEH9CT4K1Mr94Qv69L1wfoqqP4qVMZAYIJgl6eRLnvCGz6VPlGz0uXkT_IdQy7cA5GKHcwAggkXvyrSe-bObQujRzmqAI1z3LGhND8kvs4qc7xRoHAUc9ARBoD8pJe9gHWI57hIhU9O6nDA9aQpZKfyUgeOImAdXel7vUCtd0OHAQGL51sfd2XfFMuCDMHRp-OSM9JjUNtvSgKmOaoqqVXSOqfdlZvQskRoeKNba0cdD0jaKbJYxJYN9xTnauupemvKNy6eskGrY4YU7j_4bv5MvVKCmm6PkHeAL2a9dmi70LLyMHHDE-2gnL_FXfK-VvKSBje8tvxuG9fEov39TF1ly-RAsMDU1suvgGJAVw=w1600-h1200-no

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. A few of the issues are sorted.
1)I manage to install the celphy on my computer so it is now running either by usb or wifi

2)temperature: I have redone a full calibration of my screen which i didn't do for a long time. I have run another test which look much better in term of temperature.

3)crop, i don't know what I have done but it seem 99% good now only using the bordeless setting offer in the page setup from lightroom, anyway it seem impossible to input some custom size
there is still 1% wrong and this because each picture seem to go a tiny squint, so i create a small white line left and bottom about 1mm thick at the largest, no idea if there is any chance to fix this every picture come the same

4) brightness, picture are a little bit darker not too bad really

So really the only issue i have to really sort is why the print not perfectly aligned with the paper so i get a white line at left and bottom and it is going over on top and right

Re: #2
I take it you have set your monitor, in calibration software settings, at 6500k ?

Re: #3
I can only reiterate what I said above about creating an exact ratio file in your editing software e.g. Photoshop.

Re:#4
When you calibrated your monitor what brightness level did you set as your target brightness? NB bearing in mind that I edit under very low ambient light.... I set my calibration for 90cd/m2

The most common reason for dark prints compared to monitor, is the monitor is set too bright!

yes aim is to get 6500k
spider pro made me slighlty adjust the RGB slider to get within 50k

yes i have done the ratio which mean the ticked zoom to fill button don't actually do anything as it is already in the right shape

4#
you could be right, i'm in pretty low ambient light but not extremely low, i aimed for the 120cd/m2 which the spider 4 software recommended

I find that spider 4 software pretty awkward to use to be frank. Never sure where to find the very few options.
Also I selected "wide gamut" got a message saying "your monitor is not wide gamut but normal gamut please change it". So changed it and restarted the whole process to get a message "your monitor is not a normal gamut but a large gamut please change it"... I've always found that bit of software really annoying.

Any idea of how to solve the problem of the slight misalignment. It's the same on all pictures and really annoying.

Ok, daft question ~ is there only way way to put the cartridge(?) of print "paper" in or is it more vague like 'narrow edge in'......and can actually be inserted either end in?

Based on your pictures above it seems to be the narrow edges.....where the print is a tiny amount displaced, hence why I say......maybe it might be cured by putting the print "paper" in the Seplhy the other way round if that can be done???

Last edited:
Another frustrating moment. I have taken this out of the storage. I actually tried to sell it years ago but nobody bought it so I kept it.
Having a new play with it and what a shame it is so frustrating. I think it is aimed at people who don't care about photo. The idea of it is great. The photo that come out is really good quality. And for someone like me who does not print enough to have a reel printer (which will likely clog up over times of non using and such).

It is a great device but I have tried to print bordeless and with border, setup on the printer or in lightroom, whatever border I set up in lightroom is just ignored by the printer, fiddling with brightness and contrast to get similar result as screen seem to be a hit or miss but most likely miss situation.

I love this little printer but you have to not care about brightness, colour fidelity, cropping, borders... It is a lot to give up for ease of use. Much easier to put on a usb stick and get them printed somewhere else.

Another frustrating moment. I have taken this out of the storage. I actually tried to sell it years ago but nobody bought it so I kept it.
Having a new play with it and what a shame it is so frustrating. I think it is aimed at people who don't care about photo. The idea of it is great. The photo that come out is really good quality. And for someone like me who does not print enough to have a reel printer (which will likely clog up over times of non using and such).

It is a great device but I have tried to print bordeless and with border, setup on the printer or in lightroom, whatever border I set up in lightroom is just ignored by the printer, fiddling with brightness and contrast to get similar result as screen seem to be a hit or miss but most likely miss situation.

I love this little printer but you have to not care about brightness, colour fidelity, cropping, borders... It is a lot to give up for ease of use. Much easier to put on a usb stick and get them printed somewhere else.
The paper looks exactly like the paper from a Funai printer I have, which strangely I took out of storage last weekend!

Mine prints over the snap off lines on each end of the paper, and over the long edges (it is a dye sublimation printer)

I use a crude but effective way to get the photos looking right.

I print a test pattern with no corrections on the computer, then I take that print and adjust my monitor to look like the print, and save that profile.
When I want to print, I set the monitor to that profile, and adjust the image to look right, and when I print it, it comes out just like it looks on the screen :)

The paper looks exactly like the paper from a Funai printer I have, which strangely I took out of storage last weekend!

Mine prints over the snap off lines on each end of the paper, and over the long edges (it is a dye sublimation printer)

I use a crude but effective way to get the photos looking right.

I print a test pattern with no corrections on the computer, then I take that print and adjust my monitor to look like the print, and save that profile.
When I want to print, I set the monitor to that profile, and adjust the image to look right, and when I print it, it comes out just like it looks on the screen :)

not a bad idea!
my screen is calibrated but I am never too sure how to toggle between calibration settings. I use an old spider device with a very annoying interface.

these little sublimation printer are good fun, would be nice to have it work properly.

not a bad idea!
my screen is calibrated but I am never too sure how to toggle between calibration settings. I use an old spider device with a very annoying interface.

these little sublimation printer are good fun, would be nice to have it work properly.
When you are printing at home, a calibrated screen is useful if you have a calibrated printer :)

I use my Selphy for 2 things - creating postcards with my own photos on and for giving people quick prints. Neither use demands perfect crops or framing - I tend to shoot a bit loose to allow for some cropping at the print stage (a hangover from film days when the D&P houses would take a varying amount of image off all 4 sides!) If I'm printing at home, I'll use an inkjet (which is better matched to my monitor, although the SOOC JPEGs are pretty good straight through the Selphy when I use that away from home.)

Back