Press Pass... is it necessary?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
It's a long way off for me but cant help notice at pro football/rugby matches etc suppose even this years Olympics the touchline is always full of photographers snapping away.
I can only assume working for an agency etc but do they also require their own personal insurance (for them and equipment) and have obtained a press pass to even get into these events?

Would you advise looking into avenues to get one as does this open other doors for you or are they not so necessary ?

Just Interested, thanks

PP

The criteria for a UK Press Card is: someone who is “wholly or significantly concerned professionally as a media worker who needs to identify himself or herself in public”.
That is you need to earn all or the majority of your income from press work.

Thanks @DemiLion ... That's me out the game then :D:D

It's not, it just isn't easy to get into and starting with the Olympics or the Premier League isn't going to happen.

There are a few people on here who shoot at sporting events, I know @Tobers shot at the World Cup though he was probably full time - but you can start at the bottom and work up. Local papers may want local matches covered, there is a young guy on here who was at college and desperate to shoot football, he got a few sessions with a seasoned tog at small local games before he was asked to attend some himself, the pictures got in the paper. Not sure how far he's taken it, but that's how it's done. You can't shoot football full time if the games are at the weekends and evenings, so you could have a job and attend some matches, I do know that at bigger games the photographers are often there several hours before to get a good spot though.

If it seems something you really want to do it she not impossible, it just won't be easy. Once you get into a few local games and a few pictures published you can start to earn a bit of credibility I guess and slowly climb the ladder, but you'd need to prove yourself at Sunday league matches, sit out in the rain and bitter cold and do it all for free for a while and you might find you are getting somewhere.

Good luck :)

Thanks @DemiLion ... That's me out the game then :D:D

Not necessarily. You don't need a press card to shoot football. Once you have built up a portfolio of excellent images from numerous sports (doesn't need to be full-on Football League stuff), approach an agency and they will get access for you.

It's definitely do-able - I am an example. Confidence, capability and desire will sort you out.

Press pass isn't a must - definitely not if you are doing UK based events (not saying it might not help at times).
Most sports here (and elsewhere) tend to have their own press passes.. in case of higher level footy it's all the DataCo stuff.

But you can start getting your experience from lower league footy or other sports a lot easier... a friendly email to the club/league might get you in easy enough.

Insurance I would maybe advice getting - better safe than sorry... and if you want to cover things 'on your own' .. then you would not be covered by agency/club.
So might be worth looking into...

For me - I have most of my clients abroad, so shooting sports all over the continent 12 months a year...
Over there I do find that my AIPS card is VERY useful to gain access into single games (as well as a confirmed client for images).

So you don't need to have one to get started.. but as the events you attend get bigger... having one is an advantage.

Not necessarily. You don't need a press card to shoot football. Once you have built up a portfolio of excellent images from numerous sports (doesn't need to be full-on Football League stuff), approach an agency and they will get access for you.

It's definitely do-able - I am an example. Confidence, capability and desire will sort you out.

Absolutely agree with Tobers. I'm an example too

I don't have a press card either. I have a Conference licence but also shoot for a League 1 club under their licence.

I got my opening with the League 1 club by becoming their Academy photographer

I have one which I acquired through the BPPA. Can't say I've used it anywhere in the UK though. The only time I recall being asked for it was at Roland Garros a few years ago. Most places I've been were happy enough to see the letter of approved accreditation and some form of photo ID before handing over a pass.

I made my own, I don't have an official pass from the paper I use for applying to cover games. But when collecting pass and bib at the stadium you have to hand in a media card. So I just hand in my version. I shoot just for experience and the love of the sport,I have a full time job,but applied for the euros this year and got accredited for the first Irish game. Didn't make it though as the price of getting there for two days totalled over a grand.

It is possible to achieve what you are aiming for,as said previously start small and build from there

I do have AIPS card and it really helps in Europe and sometimes even in my country where I am from.
But basically accreditation from media agency works even better

I made my own, I don't have an official pass from the paper I use for applying to cover games. But when collecting pass and bib at the stadium you have to hand in a media card. So I just hand in my version.

" "

Had my uk press card for dunno.. ten years or more.. havent had to show it ten times.. when i have used it nobody was interested... I cant even remember the password anymore..

Had my uk press card for dunno.. ten years or more.. havent had to show it ten times.. when i have used it nobody was interested... I cant even remember the password anymore..

Prem and some Championship matches have tighten up considerably this season. You now either need a UKPC, an AIPS or DataCos own ID card.
Given the events in Germany on Monday (and others) I suspect this will only get more common.

Prem and some Championship matches have tighten up considerably this season. You now either need a UKPC, an AIPS or DataCos own ID card.
Given the events in Germany on Monday (and others) I suspect this will only get more common.

I use my dataco id at matches with that requirement.. i meant other events sporting or not..

Only time I recall ever having to show my UK Press Card was at Roland Garros for tennis a few years back. Apparently photo ID and a letter of accreditation wasn't enough for them.

You have to admit though.. a uk press card looks like a 5 year old designed it... and nobody knows how to question it... they dont know it comes with a police held password you can ask for to verify the holder..

I made my own, I don't have an official pass from the paper I use for applying to cover games. But when collecting pass and bib at the stadium you have to hand in a media card. So I just hand in my version. I shoot just for experience and the love of the sport,I have a full time job,but applied for the euros this year and got accredited for the first Irish game. Didn't make it though as the price of getting there for two days totalled over a grand.

So let me get this right you applied and got accredited for the first irish game of the euros, but didn't go because of the cost? why did you NOT look at the cost before you applied? all you did was to take the place a working tog instead of a weekend warrior, places were limited and then you don't even bother going SHOCKING!!!

Back