Preston meet of 12th June

-Rob-

Say Cheese!...Oh, and call me Susan
Edit My Images
No
I arranged a meet (HERE) which took place last night and there were quite a few there that are from TP so this is a thread for people to share their photos and discuss and comment. I've not even looked at my photos yet so I'll post mine up when I get round to it.

A huge thanks to everyone that turned up and made it a successful event.

Ok, I'll start with a couple... still got loads to process yet but I'll get round to it over the next day or two :cool:

EDIT: Full galleries on my Farcebook page...

Thanks to -Rob- for organising this event and to the lovely models for their time and patience :clap:

_MG_8460_2.jpg

_MG_8479_2.jpg

Last edited:
really love the 2nd one stu!! i think the way she had her hair really lends itself to the processing you did on it love it!!

i on the other hand didnt get any i dont think!! LOL so you will have to apologize to the models!
only managed to upload them to the comp but havent looked through them all yet....not looking good though!

looking forward to seeing alot more...i saw some fun stuff going on throughout the mill!!

next time i am going to follow the experienced ones round like a blue assed fly and i dont give a sh**e if i annoy them PMSL.....i was in a group of all beginners, so didnt learn anything....so be warned....at the next meet i will be annoying you ALL!!!! mwahaha

LOL ill be like a bad smell you just cant get rid of ha ha.

I didnt have the chance to have a go with any lighting, so my camera was set mostly at 1/50, f 3, ISO 1600...and even then it was still too dark sometimes...hence lots of out of focus, grainy images :( poo!!!
I do however have a canon 580 speedlite.....which spent most of its time switched off as i had no clue what to do with it LOL...need HELP next time please!! LOL xx

LOL ill be like a bad smell you just cant get rid of ha ha.

I didnt have the chance to have a go with any lighting, so my camera was set mostly at 1/50, f 3, ISO 1600...and even then it was still too dark sometimes...hence lots of out of focus, grainy images :( poo!!!
I do however have a canon 580 speedlite.....which spent most of its time switched off as i had no clue what to do with it LOL...need HELP next time please!! LOL xx

So Tracey you do know what to do - it's all about confidence.

It's a flash gun - just stick it on the hot shoe and set it to TTL auto and fire away. You have to start somewhere;)
Like you I tried a couple with natural light and they were god-awful.....I really do have to stop shaking. I have a 430 so used that.

It's a real shame that you felt that you didn't learn anything and I hope you won't be put off trying again. I would be quite happy to spend a bit of time helping you if you want - just let me know. Have studio lights and can travel is my motto:LOL:

The secret is don't be put off - we all had to learn sometime. B(y)

I hope you won't be put off trying again.
Barry, the one thing you'll learn very quickly is that Tracey is very trying!!! :LOL:

I know she won't be put off and I'm sure if she spends 10 minutes with someone that knows how to use her 580 flash then she'll pick up the basics easily enough then there will be no stopping her.

Quick vote of thanks to Rob for organising last night - you lost a star because of the rain, but regained it by pulling the rabbit of the mill out of the hat.
And.....as we all expected it stopped raining about 8.30:bang:

Barry, the one thing you'll learn very quickly is that Tracey is very trying!!! :LOL:

I know she won't be put off and I'm sure if she spends 10 minutes with someone that knows how to use her 580 flash then she'll pick up the basics easily enough then there will be no stopping her.

I take your point about Tracey - just sometimes people are a bit backward in coming forward. I'm sure she's not like that around people she knows;)

I have emailed my contact details to the ladies so I can send them some prints, but in the meantime here are a couple of my favourites:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/34630557@N02/5829306679/]
kate 8 by kitkat06, on Flickr[/URL]

kate 11 by kitkat06, on Flickr

sammi 3 by kitkat06, on Flickr

sammi 1 by kitkat06, on Flickr

Good to meet you too Stoo,

Thanks for the comments - I'm amazed at how poorly focussed some of my shots were. Not sure if I'm moving during exposures or if the lens is slightly off (my 24-105). Could be I'm just getting old and it's too heavy for me:LOL::LOL:

Did notice some of the exposure times were quite long - even at f4.

Have to say the shots on your Facebook page have inspired me to have a think about this Strobist mallarky - light on the move eh?

The effect in the outside shots of Kate is excellent and I especially like the use of the painted backdrop upstairs.(y)

I noticed your shutter speeds were slow but I was presuming you were just gathering ambient light. I've taken a look at your EXIF data on your Flickr and it shows you were shooting in Av mode, which is why your metered images were turning out brighter than mine.

I was shooting with the camera in manual at around 1/125th ISO200, flashgun also manual around 1/4 power, then metering the flash output with the Sekonic at those settings to aim for around f5.6/f6.3. My only adjustments were flash power or a tweak on the aperture.

Your camera in Av mode hasn't accounted for the flash part of the exposure. Having said all that, you've got some cracking shots under challenging conditions and should be proud (y)

Last edited:
some of mine from sunday..thanks to rob, bry & kate, sam & faye ..

5830281621_ce8ab8f903_b.jpg

5831347349_133eeb30c6_b.jpg

5830830786_ea50fa1bd4_b.jpg

5830884448_9a256b4ef1_b.jpg

5830280913_48e67e1828_b.jpg

5830830904_d00da0fac2_b.jpg

Last edited:
So Tracey you do know what to do - it's all about confidence.

It's a flash gun - just stick it on the hot shoe and set it to TTL auto and fire away. You have to start somewhere;)
Like you I tried a couple with natural light and they were god-awful.....I really do have to stop shaking. I have a 430 so used that.

It's a real shame that you felt that you didn't learn anything and I hope you won't be put off trying again. I would be quite happy to spend a bit of time helping you if you want - just let me know. Have studio lights and can travel is my motto:LOL:

The secret is don't be put off - we all had to learn sometime. B(y)

I had the flash on ETTL...but no matter where i tried to bounce it i just got harsh shadows or a really bright side LOL...i dont know what to do with the flash exposure comp on the camera....no matter if i had it on 3+ or all the way to 3-...i couldnt see a difference!? LOL
And thanks very much for the reply....i always feel like a right failure if i dont get it to work.....im a perfectionist, and it drives me insane! LOL

you said it all right there! i just want to know how to use the bloomin thing LOL I know about bouncing it off walls, ceilings etc...it just never seems to work properly!
Tracey is very trying.......didnt you mean testing? LOL

Looking forward to learning more! i just felt like i was wasting my time as everything was going wrong and there was no-one around to ask so i kind of gave up after the first 15 minutes LOL....i saw everyone else with umbrellas and flashes and getting some amazing images just straight in the camera so i waved my white flag and wandered off to take pictures of screws and crap off the window sills :LOL:

I cant tell you how much ive learned from Rob and Dave,...even the odd stranger here off TP!! theyve been very patient and have learnt me everything i know now...even from putting the strap on my camera :LOL: (y) thanks guys!

the next step is flash :) ive kind of got used to my studio lights....but external and on camera flash is a whole different game!

I take your point about Tracey - just sometimes people are a bit backward in coming forward. I'm sure she's not like that around people she knows;)
that red part was just perfect as it was LOL

fantastic images from people!! i especially like the one of Natasha/Natalie? with her hair blowing in the wind.....and the pic of Donald at work!!

fantastic Rob!! Loved precious she was a fantastic model!!

Natalie...number 2, she has a tripod leg sticking out of her bum :LOL:

lovely pics!! i knew i should have stuck with you :LOL:

LOL i dont blame ya ;) :LOL:

I love your number 4 for precious, and also number 3....she looks to be a tad more orange on that one, but i can see it really brings out the colour in the exposed bricks.....the window frame and wheels on the cart look slightly HDR'd too....looks brilliant!

well here are my attempts....theres something wrong with every picture.....tried to salvage them in photoshop, but with my limited skills...theres no hope LOL Cant wait to learn how to use flash for next time! :LOL:

From Facebook:

249877_10150207557088323_509248322_7156156_8070621_n.jpg

248912_10150207557273323_509248322_7156163_3441062_n.jpg

255732_10150207557368323_509248322_7156165_7236861_n.jpg

247432_10150207557488323_509248322_7156167_2542486_n.jpg

252527_10150207557618323_509248322_7156170_4034254_n.jpg

@ Button Moon - where's the 'harsh' shadows then?

Apart from a little bit of tweaking in PS with the exposures and white balance in one or two what's wrong with them?:shrug:

Overdone self-critiscism is not a good thing:thumbsdown:

There are some bl**dy good shots there:clap:

LOL Barry....none of these were taken with flash!! they were all the low setting on my camera which is why they are out of focus and grainy ha ha

except i think in number 5...my flash kept triggering someones umbrella...and i couldnt work out why one side of her was all lit up PMSL

the troubl i have...is they were a little too dark for me....so when i brightened them up...the already white areas (like the rips on Precious' jeans) got blown out...how do i stop it from doing that!? LOL

the troubl i have...is they were a little too dark for me....so when i brightened them up...the already white areas (like the rips on Precious' jeans) got blown out...how do i stop it from doing that!? LOL

Depends on your processing software - if you just do a straight exposure adjust it will affect the whole image.
If you have a brush which will allow selective exposure/burning/dodging then that's the tool to use.

Alternatively the levels adjuster will allow you to adjust shadows,mid-tones and highlights independently (y)

i use photoshop cs5.....i use the dropper thing on the levels.
and ive seen the dodge and burn tools but dont know how to use them LOL
Ill deffo have a look into it now i know what i have to use!!

Aww thanks Rob, thats a brilliant offer!
In our group there was a lady with a 580 speedlite and she said her manual was a waste of time LOL,

Im currently at home now having a quick play with the speedlite and a 24-70 ive got rented. Im going to the wedding rehearsal tonight so having another practice. Ideally it would have been better to learn how to use the flash BEFORE the wedding :LOL: but ive run out of time.

Just let me know a date n time suitable for you and ill try n flick through my massive diary :) LOL

and no....it takes me a LONG time to learn things..ill be an expert in 90 years ;)

FEC? will be saying alot of that probably ;)

LOL i think that stands for flash exposure comp?...it may not it was just a wild guess!!

ok, someone explain FEC to me...does the minus make it less powerfull, and the plus make it brighter? or vise versa...or none of the above LOL

In our group there was a lady with a 580 speedlite and she said her manual was a waste of time LOL
The reason I suggested bringing the manual is because I have no idea how to use a Canon flash. I can use a Nikon or Yongnuo flash no problems but Canons aren’t exactly user friendly and instinctive.

Just let me know a date n time suitable for you and ill try n flick through my massive diary LOL
An ideal time would be next Wednesday night at the same Mill because Brian is hosting a similar kind of evening to what we did on Sunday with models there to shoot around the mill but we can just concentrate on making sure you know how to use flash in different lighting conditions.

If you’re not free on Wednesday then I can meet you somewhere on a Saturday (not this sat as we’re both shooting weddings). I’d have the little nipper with me but we can use her as a model.

Back