Preston meet of 12th June

Some great photos there. I hope to get a chance to edit mine soon. Damned work getting in the way at present!!

In our group there was a lady with a 580 speedlite and she said her manual was a waste of time LOL,

Hi Tracey, :nono: sorry but what I actually said was that I found the manual that came with it a waste of time (cos I am still in the dark as to how it works) :LOL: LOL

I could definitely use some help in understanding how to use the manual settings too.

I really enjoyed the shoot Rob and can't wait for the next one :)

Yep. In ETTL mode the flashgun monitors how much light is reflected back from the subject and cuts off the flash when correct exposure is reached.

FEC adjusts the cut off points. Set your camera on a tripod pointing at the same subject and play! :)

thanks Stoo!! :)

The reason I suggested bringing the manual is because I have no idea how to use a Canon flash. I can use a Nikon or Yongnuo flash no problems but Canons aren’t exactly user friendly and instinctive.

An ideal time would be next Wednesday night at the same Mill because Brian is hosting a similar kind of evening to what we did on Sunday with models there to shoot around the mill but we can just concentrate on making sure you know how to use flash in different lighting conditions.

If you’re not free on Wednesday then I can meet you somewhere on a Saturday (not this sat as we’re both shooting weddings). I’d have the little nipper with me but we can use her as a model.

no need for such foul language rob :LOL:;)

I cant do next wednesday...got 2 wedding cakes to do :(
not a problem, saturdays ive just checked my diary and hit about october before there was one available LOL lots of cakes for weekends...saturday night parties, sunday christenings etc. but ill sort something out :)
Hi Tracey, :nono: sorry but what I actually said was that I found the manual that came with it a waste of time (cos I am still in the dark as to how it works) :LOL: LOL

thats what i said????!! :shrug:

and Rob, love number one and three!!! they are all good but those are my favs :)

o yes aswell ive just remembered, we went ot eh wedding rehearsal last night, and OMG!! we walked in and we just looked straight at each other it was REALLY dark and the only lights they had were bright orange!! i even set the white balance to tungsten and it couldnt handle it LOL they were all still yellow and orange...auto white balance just turned the father of the bride into hellboy.

i had it set to around 1/50 f 2.8 3200 and they were still dark. didnt use flash, vicar was very stern and was telling people not to laugh as 'it was an important ceremony' ....got to be the worst wedding situation for your first wedding?!?! dreading it LOL

also...what shutter speed is best to capture people walking etc?

o yes aswell ive just remembered, we went ot eh wedding rehearsal last night, and OMG!! we walked in and we just looked straight at each other it was REALLY dark and the only lights they had were bright orange!! i even set the white balance to tungsten and it couldnt handle it LOL they were all still yellow and orange...auto white balance just turned the father of the bride into hellboy.
Black & White photos are your friend!!!!! Convert to B&W and you’ll obviously loose all the orange. Also the noise you’ll get at iso3200 will look nicer in B&W as it looks more like film grain.

i had it set to around 1/50 f 2.8 3200 and they were still dark. didnt use flash, vicar was very stern and was telling people not to laugh as 'it was an important ceremony' ....got to be the worst wedding situation for your first wedding?!?! dreading it LOL
If it is that dark then use flash. Even if the vicar tell you not to then use it when you have to. The vicar would have to be a right c-unit to interrupt the ceremony to ask you not to use flash.

also...what shutter speed is best to capture people walking etc?
If you are using flash then anywhere between 1/60th and 1/125th won’t make a difference. If you aren’t using flash then ask them to walk slowly and try not to go below about 1/50th and you shouldn’t get motion blur.

you are a genius Rob :) Ive seen many photographers just have all; the ceremony in black and white n thought id juts like to see a few in colour, but obviously if its that dark...we cant LOL

I doubt ill be using flash in the church, 1, because the vicar looked p****d off to begin with, and 2, i dont want to cock up an important shot by having them too bright, mega shadows etc.
the register room is even worse! they have a light right above their heads which casts massive shadows under their chins etc....trust our first wedding to be like this! LOL

thanks for the info Rob, you are absolute star!! :) xx

The photographs of Steph are very good. the black and white shot works very well. How are you enjoying the D700?

you are a genius Rob :) blah blah blah
thanks for the info Rob, you are absolute star!! :) xx
I know!!! :nuts:

The photographs of Steph are very good. the black and white shot works very well. How are you enjoying the D700?
Thanks Ian. I had the D700 on iso 200 for this shoot so really it was no different to my D300 but I am loving it. I'm using it for a wedding on Saturday so that will put it to the test.

Here's a few of mine.

_MG_9385crop.jpg

_MG_9375.jpg

_MG_9418crop.jpg

_MG_9438_1crop.jpg

_MG_9446_1.jpg

_MG_9459crop.jpg

Aww thanks Rob, thats a brilliant offer!
In our group there was a lady with a 580 speedlite and she said her manual was a waste of time LOL,

Im currently at home now having a quick play with the speedlite and a 24-70 ive got rented. Im going to the wedding rehearsal tonight so having another practice. Ideally it would have been better to learn how to use the flash BEFORE the wedding :LOL: but ive run out of time.

Just let me know a date n time suitable for you and ill try n flick through my massive diary :) LOL

and no....it takes me a LONG time to learn things..ill be an expert in 90 years ;)
Hi Tracey, I don't want to get in the way of you and Rob flashing each other but if your speedlight has High Speed flash facility your job will be simplified. You just set it to ETTL and press the little button with the lightning thingy and a letter H at the side of it. You can then use the camera in manual mode and the flash will calculate how much fill flash you need. It works happily on my camera at 1/250th sec so no need to worry about a bit of movement.

Looks like you had a fabulous shoot, wish I could have made it, well done everyone for the shot and the good stuff to the models you did a great job, :clap::clap::clap:

Well done to Rob for organising it, :clap: and top man Brian for the use of the mill (y)

Thanks for sharing the shots (y)

Last edited:
I had a brilliant time on this well organised fun event .Big thanks to Rob for organising ,Brian for letting us use the mill and all the models involved . Here's a few from me .

No. 4 is fantastic, the other one of Steph would have been better if both eyes had been in focus.

Stunning eyes on No. 1.
I agree with Iain about the focus on No. 2 but still a stunning shot.
Great eyes again on No. 3.
On the last 1 I'd have preferred to see the top of her knee and her left hand.

Glad you enjoyed it. We should deffo arrange another shoot with Faye some time.

Finally got a chance to edit some of mine today. I've sent them to the models concerned for there feedback first lol.

There been some great pictures posted so well done one and all. Finally spent an evening at home so I have been through mine. One of each model for you:

l1a by djsmgibbs, on Flickr

na2 by djsmgibbs, on Flickr

ha3a by djsmgibbs, on Flickr

Roll on September so I can get to these lovely ladies again.

Donald

MC_Stoo said:
It's a bit disappointing that only 10 of the 22 attending photographers have put up pictures in this thread - I'm wondering if the models have seen all the pictures yet?

I'm one of the 12 that haven't posted pics in the thread as they are likely to look very ordinary compared to some if the crackers already here LOL.

Instead I have sent 3 hi-res pics to each model to post where they see fit. I've heard back from two so far and they are happy so that's a bonus. Hope the reaming 11 might have done the same.

Images edited and sent to the models :)

It's a bit disappointing that only 10 of the 22 attending photographers have put up pictures in this thread - I'm wondering if the models have seen all the pictures yet?

It might not be quite as bad as it seems Stoo, I recall Rob telling me on the day that not all the togs were TP members so maybe 10 is a good percentage of the TPers and maybe the ones who haven't sent pics to the models aren't members!

I saw Steph's post on Facebook - she only has half the images she should. If we want to get these models to work with us then us togs have to fulfil our side of the bargain.

Donald

There is another attempt at going with Plan A to shoot in the park.

It's being arranged purely on Facebook. Do you use Facebook at all?

No Rob, I don't use facebook. I get enough grief about the time I spend on the computer as it is. :shake:

Back