Previewing images on location (Raw, Canon 5D)

Edit My Images
No
Heya,

I've decided the biggest pitfall of the canon 5d is the image review / preview mechanism, and the tiny screen. (If I'm correct), it displays the Jpeg rather than the raw, which means I can't tell what's a JPEG artifact and what isn't. Also, there's no setting for 1:1 pixel display, so discerning exact crispness of the image is not possible, not to mention any finer details.

What's the cheapest way of overcoming this? I have an android smartphone so that would be my first choice, I'm considering buying a dirt cheap tablet (£50-£100) but I suspect there's no way of interfacing either with the Canon 5D. I'd prefer not to have to keep swapping the memory card around either, which limits the interface to USB. The wifi adapter for the 5D is way too pricey. What do others do? just use a mac/windows laptop or similar? Laptops are so bulky and awkward.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "there's no setting for 1:1 pixel display"? Did you try to press a magnification button on the back of the body? The one with (+) inside a loupe.

And it is not possible to display RAW file without converting it to pixel format (JPEG or alike).

Last edited:
....it displays the Jpeg rather than the raw, which means I can't tell what's a JPEG artifact and what isn't.

Can you really see 'artifacts' on a 5D's LCD....I'm not disputing it, just very surprised that it's possible.

Bob

Yes I can see artifacts sometimes - I could probably find a jpeg artifact (or what looks like one) in just about any photo I take with it. I'm pretty sure I read that there's no way round this.

Lol as for the zoom, yes I know how to do that! .. by 1:1 i meant the pixels in the RAW or JPEG can't be mapped 1:1 with pixels on the screen, for close inspection. And if you zoom in further than that, it re-samples, so what should be jagged pixel edges, is instead blurry pixels.

Last edited:
Back