prime Help

I'm not sure I understand. The f/1.8 is fast, and the f/1.2 is INSANELY fast.

OK, sorry - if it's about AF speed then I'll stand back and let someone who knows about it help :)

Think Buster is your man for this I'm sure he's got the 1.2 :thinking:

I've got the 85L and would agree that it's not the fastest AF lens around....being aimed at portrature, it doesn't need to be. If you're buying secondhand then I would suggest a MkII as the AF is 60% faster than the original MKI version.

One quirk of the 85LII is that the MF/FTM focussing is a "fly by wire" system rather than the traditional directly coupled MF. The slight downside of this is that the MF is following a little behind your command moves and there is a perceivable delay in the lens reacting.

For catwalk and weddings AF speed shouldn't be an issue but the DOF at f/1.2 might be restrictive for catwalk shots...especially if more than one model need to be in the shot...not sure about that one. The AF using f/1.2 in low light venues should be a benefit but I would expect to use a smaller aperture for the exposure.

If you need anymore info or have questions then I'll do my best to answer although I don't use it in these fields.

Bob

PS...which body do you intend to use this on?

If you're heading FF then the 85L would be just about perfect.

Bob

Back