Prime Lens for Canon EOS 350D

Name
Eddie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I recently bought a 350D with the standard kit lens. However I would like to get a lens which offers greater quality for some nicer pics. Funds are tight (max 150 quid I think) so I think a prime lens would be the best option where price Vs. quality is concerned.

I think going for the equivalent of 50mm in old speak would be the best option but am open to other suggestions. What would be the digital equivalent of this? 35mm?

The 50mm f1.8 seems to have lots of fans but with the digital conversion this would be more like 75 which would mean it would be no good for any landscape work. I remember reading an article on a guy who only used one camera with one lens, a leica 35mm SLR with a 50mm lens which basically replicated what the eye sees from what I remember. It worked well for street photography, urban landscapes, portraits etc.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Eddie.

Soo quick search of WareHouseExpress reveals

Canon EF 35mm f/2 @ £135
Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG (77mm) @ £209

Do you work for warehouse express? I was after opinions not price comparison!! Maybe I worded my question badly...

If you were looking for a versatile prime lens at max 150 quid to improve image quality over the kit lens, what would you go for? and what would give the best equivalent to the old style 50mm in new digital terms?

Eddie

Do you work for warehouse express? I was after opinions not price comparison!! Maybe I worded my question badly...
Eddie

Maybe your own opinion of the focal length required would work best. Take the shots you want with your kit lens and then look at the EXIF to see what length suited your needs. Find the nearest prime equivalent within your budget "et voila"!

Finding an equivalent of 50mm lens on a 350d is tricky.
A 28mm lens is equivalent to 45, and 35mm to 56

Sigma did do a 30mm lens that would be closest at an equivalent of about 48mm. Its optimised for digital but is more than you were wanting to pay

I'd agree with the last post though - find out using the zoom which length works best and then get a prime that's closest to it

I don't think it'll make that much difference though - when using prime lenses you have to move around to get the composition you want rather than simply relying on the lens (as is the temptation with a zoom). If you need something that's a bit wider you simply walk backwards

Hope this helps

Glyn

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. First of all, am I on the right lines here - looking for a prime lens to increase quality over my kit lens (and getting a prime as you get better quality for your money)?

Options:-

28mm f2.8 = £135
35mm f2.0 = £185 (could perhaps stretch to this)
50mm f1.8 = £69

Or totally off track, the 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 = £174

So how would the 28-105mm compare in quality to say the other primes mentionned above, and the standard kit lens?

I used to love shooting on my old pentax ME Super with it's 50mm prime lens and have had a play with my 350D and that seems to be the focal length I prefer with that too. So I think either the 28 or the 35 would replicate this better - although the 50mm is cheaper and seems to have lots of plaudits.

Maybe we should have a vote!! Any further advice/ personal experience you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Eddie.

You can get your Canon 35mm F2 from onestopdigital for £162.99 (inc vat and del) or try Kerso to see what he can do. Many's a time I've gone out with only the 50mm f1.8, it's a fantastic lens for the money but just a tad long in some situations. Keep it in mind for the future though, there isn't a better value lens anywhere than that one.
I too used to love my ME Super and still have it though it's broken now.

Thanks Steep,

So I presume the 35mm gets your vote? Would you say it's worth the investment in this lens - in that it will produce noticably better results than my kit lens at the same focal length?

Unfortunately my ME super is also broken - hence my final upgrade to digital. Now all I've got to do is find a lens that can match the quality of photos the ME + 50mm used to take!! Hopefully this 35mm is up to the job.

Absolutely yes, a good prime will beat a great zoom any day of the week for sharpness, what you lose is convenience.

for under 50 notes (kerso;))the 50 1.8 is really good fun. yes, its a bit plastic but for the cash its a blinder.

Back