Prime Lenses for D40?

Edit My Images
Yes
I see a lot of reference to the nifty fifty and such like, but I feel a little left out due to the lack of AF motor in my D40, so in light of that what do you knowledgable 'togs' recommend as a good prime lens for this camera - be it a nikon lens or even a third party (sigma, tamron etc.?)

I'm looking for a decent portrait lens and a wider lens for landscapes.

I've had a brief look through the ads in the latest 'digital photo' magazine, but i'm really new to digital SLR's so i don't know what it is that I should be looking for.

CIA (Cheers in Advance).

I think Messiah Khan had a similar problem recently and if I remember it well, he got himself a 30 mm HSM Sigma. You might want to drop him a PM if he won't appear in here.

Lol, almost by magic I appear :D;

A month or so ago I was looking for exactly the same; a fast (<f2.8) normal to slightly wide angle prime lens for my D40X. In the end I went with the Sigma 30mm f1.4. 30mm on the 1.5X crop body equates to 45mm, which is near the 'normal' fov of a 50mm on a full frame camera. I also like the slightly wider fov for portrait work and its wide enough to be used as a landscape lens. From the small amount ive used it so far... I love it. Its tack sharp in the center, and perfectly acceptible sharpness at the edges, and the f1.4 means I can shoot low light shots that weren't possible before with my other lenses. Finally the ultra narrow dof for achieved by the f1.4 makes for some great creative options.

:)

now that is quick service! Thanks Messiah/Slapo I'll have to have a look around the sites for prices, any idea's of which ones offer a good price?

Finally - these lenses with their own motor; i'm assuming these can still be used on a better body such as a D80 or D200?

now that is quick service! Thanks Messiah/Slapo I'll have to have a look around the sites for prices, any idea's of which ones offer a good price?

Finally - these lenses with their own motor; i'm assuming these can still be used on a better body such as a D80 or D200?

Ive got a sigma 30mm on a D80. As pointed out its a stunning lens. So much so, i haven't put the 18-70 back on.

1423414124_426adbdf92.jpg

Taken with the sigma

Under about £280 is a decent price. I couldn't wait for mine and payed the stupid price of £320.:(

And yes, all HSM/AF-S/AF-I lenses work perfectly well on other cameras. :)

well, that was conclusive then, looks i'll be adding the sigma to my xmas list for 'her in doors' :)

Zoidberg - great name and great photo, looks wonderfully sharp!

well, that was conclusive then, looks i'll be adding the sigma to my xmas list for 'her in doors' :)

Zoidberg - great name and great photo, looks wonderfully sharp!

cheers for that.
I paid £230 for mine.

one of my little girl on her 3rd b/day.

1434777406_8d940dd329.jpg

sorry for going off-topic...

i haven't been there for a while, its only 20 minutes down the road so no excuse really. Cant wait to try out the 10-20 mm there then get into the butterfly house with the macro lens!

sorry for going off-topic...

i haven't been there for a while, its only 20 minutes down the road so no excuse really. Cant wait to try out the 10-20 mm there then get into the butterfly house with the macro lens!

im in heysham, but the kids love the playground there and like walking round looking for squirrels.
watch condensation in the butterfly house!!!

im in heysham, but the kids love the playground there and like walking round looking for squirrels.
watch condensation in the butterfly house!!!

yeah, thats one thing i am a bit worried about, I remimber it being pretty warm and humid in there last time :thinking:

Back