Print Yourself Vs Lab

Name
Craig Denton
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wanted peoples views on this as i personally go the lab route, the quality is excellent, its cheaper than loads of ink and paper and the images last longer.

The reason i am asking is next week my local Club is accepting submissions for 4 competitions, 3 of which require the images to be self processed, only 1 may be done from a lab print.

What do you do and why?

I do test prints and some contacts at home if I'm in a hurry otherwise I use a lab. Printing at home would, at times, be a nightmare just because of the volume.

my local Club is accepting submissions for 4 competitions, 3 of which require the images to be self processed, only 1 may be done from a lab print.

Why are they making the restriction and if you mount them how would they know? Seems like a hark back to film days to me as we all do our own 'processing' on a computer. It doesn't matter who prints it.

I use a lab for cost and quality reasons.

[cynical mode=on]

The person setting the rules hasn't just bought a shiny new printer have they? :thinking:

[cynical mode=off]

If I was printing for sale then I would use a lab for quality and archival quality (not that I've done much of this yet). If it's for me only then I print my own as I can always print them again.

Sounds like an odd requirement for a club though unless a lot of members have complained that they can't afford lab prints.

I use a lab, as Andrew says, they have better gear and in the long run it works out cheaper. My Dad prints at home and is always ordering more ink!

If I was printing for sale then I would use a lab for quality and archival quality (not that I've done much of this yet). If it's for me only then I print my own as I can always print them again.

Sounds like an odd requirement for a club though unless a lot of members have complained that they can't afford lab prints.

Thats the silly part though. It would cost more in ink and paper to self print, so why the hell wouldnt i use a lab.

Monkey, you're most probably right. I think most people don't consider the print cost, they see their printer in the corner and think it must be cheaper. Are there any independent tests of prints costs for printers? I'd be interested to know how to work out the average print cost of a home print.

I havnt seen any personally on ink usage, but i pay £1.50 for a professional 18 x 12 print.

A sheet of high quality A3 isnt far off that to start with.

Monkey, you're most probably right. I think most people don't consider the print cost, they see their printer in the corner and think it must be cheaper. Are there any independent tests of prints costs for printers? I'd be interested to know how to work out the average print cost of a home print.

Try PC Pro - I know that they include print costs when performing Printer Tests, although I can't remember the last time they specifically focused on Photo Printers (it's a PC Mag)

I havnt seen any personally on ink usage, but i pay £1.50 for a professional 18 x 12 print.

That's a bargain price for a pro lab print? Can I ask where from please?

That would be cheaper then;)

Try PC Pro - I know that they include print costs when performing Printer Tests, although I can't remember the last time they specifically focused on Photo Printers (it's a PC Mag)

Thanks, I'll take a look at that, I guess google would throw up some reviews as well, I was being lazy:D

I print my own, but I'm mainly printing large prints on canvas which would cost a fortune from the labs.

I use labs that guarantee no fade for years.
I don't want to shell out for those expensive printers and inks that don't fade.

Back