Printer and screen calibration

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I hope you don't mind me Asking a question that seems to pop up alot. But I just can't seem to get my head around this subject.
I understand why it's done and the concept of it but I have a few questions if you would be so kind to help.

I'm currently looking at purchasing a good printer for home and seem to be leaning towards canon or epson . But I have read a few times that calibrating an iMac monitor is hard work and that some tools like the spider may not work on it.
I would appreciate it if some one could point me to some information on the subject or attempt to educate me from their own experience before I spend on equipment that I may not need.

Thanks

POAH said:
spyder works with the mac I've done it.

That's reassuring, can I ask if there were any special requirements and what spyder you used

That's great, thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'm looking at the epson and canon ranges would you favour one over the other on a iMac.

And am I right in assuming once I have calibrated my monitor it allows me to run the printer profile with confidence.

I'd favour epson over canon any day - the computer is pretty much irrelavent

printer profiles so long as they are for the correct paper and ink yes

Ive been reading this forum for some time and follow many of the topics you comment on, so I have to say I value your opinion, so if possible could you explain why you would favour epson.

Many reviews I have read suggest that epsons have issues with blockages in the tips and ink wastage. Something that I have not read about canons. Cost of ink also seems heavier on the epsons. Although the reviews never fault the print quality. Although I'm looking at the r2880 and 3000 and the canon pixma range. I won't be using it on a daily basis. Would that make your opinion change?

all printers will block if you don't use them as the ink drys.

the layout of the epson software is just soo much simpler than the canon.

I don't use mine on a daily basis either and I have an R2400 with a fotospeed CIS

Most iMacs (at least the ones with a metal case) are very close - as they come out of the box - I regulary open up a test file I have on my website when I am in Apple Stores to check (I have a test print in my pocket) and they are really very close.

I noticed that when got a non colour corrected print back. And I have heard it said many times before. It's one of the reasons I purchased the iMac.
But finding a good source of info on calibrating it is proving difficult (maybe many just trust it is good enough)

I run an Epson 9800 and use the SpyderStudio3 SR for calibration.
The following video is an overview of the screen calibration. I'll do one soon for print calibration.

I'm not particularly a brand loyalist but I am familiar with the Epson systems. I'm sure the Canon printers are just as good but the user interface is just slightly different - personal choice really as both manufacturers produce quality printers. POAH is correct however when he states that you must use your printer regularly or perform a print cleaning cycle to prevent clogging, which in turn would affect your colour output.

[YOUTUBE]2Fvk-V8rlBY[/YOUTUBE]

I can spot people who have well calibrated systems (I print from a wide range of customers with a an even wider range of abilities) - and on checking they have i1 Xrite/Gretag, Spyder 3 or Colour Munki. Ones that have good colour blance but constantly too dark use Spyder 2 - and ones that are not as good use Pantone......

Remember that the calibration of the screen is just part of the process - the brightness of the room makes a big difference - as does the colour of the wall behind the monitor - the brightness and quality of the light that lights the print you are checking - and even the colour of your shirt!

BTW - the issues with Macs relate to older iMacs where the screen could not be turned down enough - those were the iMacs that are white plastic and flat (and I think even the newer ones of those were OK)

Macs have historically been the choice of graphics pros - and as a result they have always had a good selection of profile kit and software (I've used my gretag for over 12 years now)

Thank for all the input, I'm going to be able to make a more informed choice now still not sure what one yet but I seem to be leaning towards the pixma 9000 mk2/. And the 9500 mk2. Purely because the reviews I've read. I'm sure once I have made my purchase a few more questions will be asked. But I think the spyder3 will be the tool for me.

Thank for all the input, I'm going to be able to make a more informed choice now still not sure what one yet but I seem to be leaning towards the pixma 9000 mk2/. And the 9500 mk2. Purely because the reviews I've read. I'm sure once I have made my purchase a few more questions will be asked. But I think the spyder3 will be the tool for me.

I have the 9500 mk2 and am very happy with it.
I have a PC, the printer interfaces might be different for macs, but,

the only difference I could see between my old epson print interface, and the canon, was that the epson had a radio button selection for print profile output, whereas the canon had a configurable list for selecting the profile (i.e., you can choose the settings and save them under a customised name - handy for creating your own colour profiles too as you can ensure the settings are constant)

Back