printer not sizing prints like monitor?

Can you connect it with a HDMI cable? If you don't have a spare one lying around, borrow one from something else just to see if it gives you more options for resolution.

no input for it mate.

Subject to visual/physical check I thought that model you mentioned had DVI port ~ but I am repeating myself ;)

Subject to visual/physical check I thought that model you mentioned had DVI port ~ but I am repeating myself ;)
Pc doesn't have one, is there a way of telling if the graphic card is working? or is it the on-board graphics? not very good with computers, I just get buy.

Dvi is not the same has HDMI

Last edited:
Pc doesn't have one, is there a way of telling if the graphic card is working? or is it the on-board graphics? not very good with computers, I just get buy.

Dvi is not the same has HDMI

Hi Mark

When I looked up the video card you said was installed in your PC all the variants I 'found' of that card showed at least 2 ports a D-sub and a DVI port. Also if I have identified your monitor correctly that has the same ports for connection as appropriate.

Can suggest you take a picture or more of the rear ports area of your PC especially of the graphics card plus as you mention onboard graphics make sure to show just which port you have plugged the monitor into? Also, is this a branded pc can you tell us the make and model number..........oh, as mentioned before what about the exact model number of the monitor so that we call look it up to confirm its specifications?

I appreciate that computer issues can be challenging but the more explicit the exact details you can give us the better and quicker answers will (hopefully) reveal themselves :)

Last edited:
StephenM already nailed it I think its nothing to do with the monitor its the software settings, ether Photoshop or the printer. you seem to be trying to print a picture that's a different size to your paper. try resizing a pic in p.shop to the same size as your paper then the issue should go away

monitor size and printer size can be completly different , one way is to set your disply to the printer , it might look wierd but it will give a better impression of what you are going to get

This has nothing whatsoever to do with screen resolution, it is simply a setting within either the print preferences, the printer driver or the PS print dialogue that is forcing the print to fit certain dimensions thus distorting the output.

Distortion of the screen image due to an incorrect screen resolution will not make one iota of difference to the image file that is being rasterised for printing....

monitor size and printer size can be completly different , one way is to set your disply to the printer , it might look wierd but it will give a better impression of what you are going to get
Strange thinking!
This has nothing whatsoever to do with screen resolution, it is simply a setting within either the print preferences, the printer driver or the PS print dialogue that is forcing the print to fit certain dimensions thus distorting the output.

Distortion of the screen image due to an incorrect screen resolution will not make one iota of difference to the image file that is being rasterised for printing....
Absolutely!

steve_lyt is simply suggesting that as the OP (see post 5) doesn't want to change the settings in the printer driver or Photoshop, the only course of action open if screen and print are to match is to adjust the screen to fit. Personally, I think that this will involve too much work (even assuming it's possible) since the whole exercise will have to be repeated for each different crop and ratio. Still, each to their own.

Strange that someone might want to print, but not to engage with the settings to do so! I rest my case.

Strange that someone might want to print, but not to engage with the settings to do so!
I'd like to drive to Oxford this evening, but I don't want to use the gears or the steering wheel. Can you help me?

In my post #15 I mentioned that Mark had created an odd ratio image of 1.53 : 1 and if somehow the print properties was squeezing that into a1.5 : 1 ratio 'space' that could potentially account for the slight distortion he talks about.

Even though I asked he has yet to provide visual confirmation of the distortion :(

Yes, he says he is technically challenged but the lack of his more detailed contribution makes it hard to advise! In regard to the PC & monitor 'issue', again ???

I am reminded of the online posting of tech support discussions that were both amusing and frustrating to listen to.

Mark, everyone is trying to help but you must please try to answer questions as they come along for folk to work out how to help and just saying you do not wish try things will not solve things.

First thing to do is rule out screen res/geometry... Photograph a circle, any circle as long as it is a circle not an oval, make sure that the sensor is parallel to your circle so that it is a circle on the image... open this image on your computer, if it is an oval on screen then your resolution/geometry is out. If it displays as a circle then you are going to have to dive into your printer settings.

First thing to do is rule out screen res/geometry... Photograph a circle, any circle as long as it is a circle not an oval, make sure that the sensor is parallel to your circle so that it is a circle on the image... open this image on your computer, if it is an oval on screen then your resolution/geometry is out. If it displays as a circle then you are going to have to dive into your printer settings.

Good point ^

But other than what I said about above about constraining one ratio into the space of another ratio, though I have never seen it in a photograph it makes me think of when I print a pdf document and click the box in the print interface "shrink to fit" . Again this is in effect constraining one file into the space available but with an action selected to do it and usually AFAIK keeps the original ratio?

But other than what I said about above about constraining one ratio into the space of another ratio, though I have never seen it in a photograph it makes me think of when I print a pdf document and click the box in the print interface "shrink to fit" . Again this is in effect constraining one file into the space available but with an action selected to do it and usually AFAIK keeps the original ratio?
I don't think it is necessarily safe to generalise. I think we can agree that if some software has a "shrink to fit" feature then it *should* by default shrink both dimensions by the same proportion. But for any given software installation, who can say for sure (1) whether or not that is in fact what it does by default; (2) whether or not it has any configuration options to allow it to behave differently; and (3) what options the user may have enabled, by intent or otherwise?

Back