Printer past it?

Name
phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an old Photosmart 7350 printer which I use for documents and the odd photo when I might want to give someone a physical copy. It still prints documents OK but won’t print photos properly. It seems to try and print 2 copies side by side whatever sizes I choose. It whirs away for a while, stops, and then about a minute later ejects the paper with just a narrow band printed at the top in duplicate. You can’t relate anything in the bit that is printed to the original picture. Is the printer kaput?

Computer is iMac and I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling but no improvement. I could replace the printer quite cheaply for what I need but don’t want to do that and find the problem is not with the printer.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms?

Phil

On your iMac,when you command the printer to print, rather than let it print straight away get it to produce a preview. Look at what the preview shows, as this is what will be sent to the printer. Are you seeing a good image or a weird one.

I'd also look at the page set up. You may be trying to print on an odd sized paper or something similar. Also check you don't have double sided printing enabled.

Un installing the printer driver may not always work as there probably is a prefs file still loaded, and the new installation will look to that. Try going to Sys Prefs, and remove the printer from there. Doing this hopefully will delete the prefs file as well. So if it's something that's been enabled accidentally this should reset to "Factory Defaults"

Well tried all that but no different.

I think it may be something to do with the photo black ink cartridge (on this printer you have to change the standard black for the photo black for picture prints). Have done some picture prints using the standard black and they look awful but the whole of the picture is there. The ink is running low now so think I will get a couple of cheap compatibles to check further.

Thanks to you both for ideas.

Phil

Back