Printer recommendations?

It beats me why anyone wants to print digitally at home, whilst there are many labs routinely printing on all sorts of media including inkjet. Surely a point is that if your workflow's set up right, what's printed represents what you saw on your monitor - ie the essential, creative work has already been done during image preparation, and the print process thenceforward is just a mechanical process. It's not like a wet darkroom.

So why have the bulk and expense and general hassle of the huge lump of plastic and metal with a limited working life that is a home printer? Think in terms of reducing your environmental footprint.

Immediacy. For me, the beauty of digital is being able to have a print in my hands within minutes (if I want it that fast) rather than waiting for the postman who may well deliver a damaged print anyway. And there's still a sense of magic watching a plain white sheet of paper go in and a full colour print emerge from the out slot - not as good as seeing a B&W print reveal itself in the developer tray but far better than pulling a sheet of paper out of an envelope!

It beats me why anyone wants to print digitally at home, whilst there are many labs routinely printing on all sorts of media including inkjet. Surely a point is that if your workflow's set up right, what's printed represents what you saw on your monitor - ie the essential, creative work has already been done during image preparation, and the print process thenceforward is just a mechanical process. It's not like a wet darkroom.

So why have the bulk and expense and general hassle of the huge lump of plastic and metal with a limited working life that is a home printer? Think in terms of reducing your environmental footprint.
Hi, Same reason to shoot in manual mode. For me anyway, I took the image and I printed it, my work no one elses. Satisfaction!!!

So what are the main differences between Pro 1 and Pro 10s?

I'm printing onto canvas for a particular product, and I can't find anywhere that will do it at a reasonable cost. (Not making canvas print frames etc.).

Hi Will

Might be worth having a chat with these guys

https://www.tradecanvasprint.co.uk/

That are local to me and have a very good rep. They also are very accommodating although I don't know your exact requirements they may be able to help.

As for printers I use an SC-P 600 which I ink is a great printer but I'm sure that the equivalent Canon is equally as good. I've never printed canvas through it however.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you how they would never buy Epson printers because the heads block on them. I've had Epson printers for the last 10 years and maybe clean the heads once a year. The only problems I've had have been through debris on my R3000 which was my own fault as I was trying to be clever and print on something I shouldn't. One set of nozzles blocked and I couldn't clear them, hence the SC-P 600. However after a bit of investigation the R3000 is now working as good as new again.

One reason is being the finish of taking photos and seeing the job complete. There is satisfaction in printing at home and seeing the finished product and knowing it is all your own work.

I have an Epson XP- 950 which prints up to A3 size yet still an A4 size printer and scans as well. You can't do that sending your work out to third parties to print

Last edited:
It beats me why anyone wants to print digitally at home, whilst there are many labs routinely printing on all sorts of media including inkjet.
The same reason I do not employ a photographer to take the picture or employ a Photoshop expert to do the postprocessing - it is MY picture and I want to control all of it.

Printing myself is quicker and allows me to do proper proofing - soft-proofing is fine but not entirely accurate - and I can print slightly different versions and compare them side-by-side and in differing light.

<LOL> Obviously you dont drive a diesel car then. However the couriers and post peeps do shuttling your prints to and fro. If everyone spent more time looking at their own impact instead of getting holier than thou towards others we might get to a better place.!

Back