Printer recomndation

Name
Andres
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I don't need model or maker suggestions. But i need some ideas about what to expect from domestic printers. I recently attend a party and they have just new Kodak 5250. Instead of next day delivery, I got original Kodak paper and printed picture same day. Results made them very happy.

My concerns are:
1. How long picture printed on such domestic printer keep colors?
2. Any benefits of laser printer in average lab? Except slightly better resolution maybe.
3. If i am going to buy my own printer, what i should pay attention at? Ink types, etc.

Thanks

How long prints last is a matter of conjecture.It can depend on the storage conditions, paper ink etc. I found this article at the Wilhelm institute web site

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/kodak/esp5250.html

As far a a typical lab printer is concerned I don't think you'll find significant differences from a good print made on a conventional photo paper made on a laser printer compared to a similar print made on a good inkjet machine.

As far as buying your own printer then it's going to be down to what you want from the machine. I personally would only look at printers that have individual colour cartridges. Those with a single cartridge for all 3 colours can work out expensive, as you have to replace the single cartridge when only one colour runs out. I know Kodak claim to save money on ink, and I can't depute that, but throwing away a cartridge when it may still have 20% ink left seems a bit extravagant.

What's your budget in mind? And what do you want to use if for? personal use or business?

So looks like quality now is ok. One of my friends about 5 years ago printed few albums for his family and then 1-2 years later pictures start to degrade colours. Reading this document looks like technology improved since then.
I am just afraid it can happen with my customers.

Back