Printers on networks

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
My work are letting me use the large format printer (HP Z2100) for personal use providing I use my own paper, triffic. The printer is connected to a server via a USB lead. The PC has the HP Printer Software on it for changing profiles, accounting ink usage etc etc.

I thought it would be handy to have the same software on my PC and laptop (which are also connected to the server and have the printer added) because that's where I'll print the photos from. Software is in but I can't get it to find the printer at all. It won't automatically find it in a general search and the alternative is to submit an IP address but as the printer isn't connected via an ethernet cable it doesn't have one.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Kev

Which operating system is it?

You will need to have the printer drivers installed on the PC or laptop from which you are printing. Do you have the installation discs? If not you might be able to get them from the HP support page.

The PC and laptop are on XP, the server I think is on server2003 or something like that. The printers are instlled on PC and laptop but when you run the HP Printer Utility it doesn't pick them up automatically. The HP Printer Utility on the server works fine.

Bloomin hate computers I do.:shrug:

If you connect directly to the printer using its share name does that not load a subset of the printer drivers with the ability to select / change profile etc? it does on all of mine.

(I am a network admin.)

The printer share has to be correctly set up (with the drivers for each OS) for that to work. Can be a little tricky to set up right.

Alternatively, since the drivers are already installed locally, connecting to the correct network printer share (on the server) should work.

(I admin my own network printer :))

Cheers for the replies folks. Someone on another forum thinks I might not be able to find the printer through the utility because the printer isn't directly on the network via and ethernet cable, instead it's connected to the server via a USB. Don't know how likely it is that this is the problem but it sounds plausible to my non computer literate brain.

I think I might just have to put up with the running back and forth because I don't wan't to break the computer system and don't want to push my luck trying to get my boss to sort it out.

presumably other users are able to print to this printer ? could you not look at the settings they have and copy them ?

How does your computer connect to the network ? do you have authenticate via the 2003 Server ?

I am thinking some sort of security issue which prevents anyone just connecting a computer to the network

make sure that the printer is shared on the PC it is connected to

Okay, perhaphs I wasn't clear. I can print to the printer from my computer, no problem. So the printer must be set up to share from the PC server it is connected to.

The problem is that the HP Printer Utility software doesn't work from my computer, the HP Printer Utility software does work from the server which the printer is connected to via a USB not an Ethernet cable.

aha
try a remote desktop to the server!

We've got a Z2100 at work, isn't it network ready? We print to a server running Onyx which drives our large format printers so I've never used the HP Print Utility. Would it be possible to hook up the printer to the network and try that?

Back