Printers That Can Scan Slides

Name
rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

My Mum has a vast and ageing 35 mm slide collection, many of which are beginning to deteriorate. With this in mind she wants to make digital copies of them.

Having checked out the likes of HP and Epson etc I really have no idea what to go for and I'm hoping that someone can give some pointers on printers that can also scan slides and perhaps negatives too.

I'm thinking of an all-in-one, rather than specifically a scanner, simply because my mum is also ageing and struggles with computers and so the less hardware she has connected to her pc the happier she feels. However, if people feel that scanners produce better quality images I would certainly take that on board, along with any recommendations you can make.

many thanks

Rob

just got a second hand epson V500 from a member here
cant fault the quality, its superb.....only issue for you maybe is it only scans 4 mounted slides at a time
so could take a while

Last edited:
my mum is also ageing and struggles with computers
An all-in-one will in all likelihood be more troublesome to use than a dedicated slide scanner. In my experience they're generally summed up as "4-in-1, poor at everything".

How many slide are there? There are a number of bulk scanning service, a quick Google finds costs around 32p/slide for 1,000 slides. It may not seem cheap, but there's no hassle and nothing to buy/learn for a one-of process.

Thank you for your replies and please accept my apologies for taking so long to return to this thread.

Given how many photos my Mum has (not only are we going back to the fifties but she has also always been very trigger happy!!!), and given how she bravely struggles through with all this modern tech I suggested to her that she use a bulk scanning service - it seemed the sensible option based on your replies above.

However, unbeknown to me, my brother gave her a scanner for Xmas so she's now on a mass-scan mission.....and giving me a monologue on progress at every opportunity!

Thank you for your replies and please accept my apologies for taking so long to return to this thread.

Given how many photos my Mum has (not only are we going back to the fifties but she has also always been very trigger happy!!!), and given how she bravely struggles through with all this modern tech I suggested to her that she use a bulk scanning service - it seemed the sensible option based on your replies above.

However, unbeknown to me, my brother gave her a scanner for Xmas so she's now on a mass-scan mission.....and giving me a monologue on progress at every opportunity!

My late father also struggled with tech, but then I got him a scanner for his birthday so he could scan his old army prints. Two years later, everybody in his old regiment was sending him prints to scan, and he was giving them tech support. It gave him something to do that he enjoyed, and I'm sure your mother will be the same!

http://flat222.org/gallery3/index.php/brian/army - for anyone interested in army photos from the 1960s/1970s.

Back