Printing advice needed

GTG

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I have been doing photography on and off for a few years but never print.

Now I want to start making some to put around the house but I find that with standard prints like from boots or whatever I am not happy with them

I compare them to pro photos my family have from years gone by and they just don't look the same caliber of prints.

So where do I go in the UK to get really pro looking prints.

I have visited some websites but am confused by the options for paper and finishes and don't know where have the best machines.

I either print myself or use Snappy Snaps in Lincoln. To print yourself requires learning a lot more in the way of technicalities and not worth the while for most people. If you use somewhere like Snappy Snaps (other printers are available) and you go to the printer in person, you can look at prints they have made for others and you can discuss the details of what you are after.

Reactions: GTG
There is also the issue of your monitor being calibrated. If it is not, you will get colour changes regardless of who does the printing.

Printing is something of a minefield. It often comes down to preparation of the picture files. If you consider that there is exposure and possibly processing in camera, then maybe processing in a computer, then submission to a possibly automated print machine, it's clear that is a string of variables that might not tally.

Exposure, focus, etc is up to you! The next step may be display brightness. Many a monitor as sold is set far too bright, and setting its brightness at say 50% might be a good starting point. Read up on it.

I'm not saying that you must buy a calibration device, you can try quick and dirty, seat of the pants methods. Then run a test print, and use it for feedback into how close you are. At the basic level, you have to accept the lab processes as given (and they are likely to be similar across different labs), and adjust your output to suit.

Last edited:
Have a look here http://www.proamimaging.com/, they are very good and not overly expensive ,postage is a bit on the high side.
I only suggest them as they are local to me and I have used them in the past so there will be others.
As droj says it is a bit of a minefield and a lot of people will say you need a calibration device, but I would try droj suggestion first ( a bit of DIY) , send some prints off to various places and see what the outcome is, it will be a lot cheaper than splashing cash on a calibration device to start with.
From my limited dealings with ProAm they recommend that you apply their printer profile to your photo in order to get the best results, I don't know if other places do this and I am not sure if all editing programs can do it, I know PS can but I am not sure about LR

Back