Printing and borders

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
I cannot understand this so I need some help please.

I've cropped this photo to 16x20 inches exactly, and created a new document which is also 16x20 inches - I've then added some guidelines with the ruler, 2 inch border all the way around.

When I paste my photo in and use Transform -> Scale to resize, it doesn't fit in the box properly - why!? I can't understand it.Print.jpg

I cannot understand this so I need some help please.

I've cropped this photo to 16x20 inches exactly, and created a new document which is also 16x20 inches - I've then added some guidelines with the ruler, 2 inch border all the way around.

When I paste my photo in and use Transform -> Scale to resize, it doesn't fit in the box properly - why!? I can't understand it.View attachment 355655
That is because the aspect ratios are different.

20÷16 = 1.25

16÷12 = 1.33

Reactions: smr
Ok thanks for that. So if I want to add a 2 inch border to a 20x16 print, it then makes the image size 22.42x18.42 - if I then change the height to 20" with the proportions constrained the resulting image is 20x16.432 - so 16 and a half inches - yet the printers say that the image uploaded should be 16x20 inches exactly - so do they automatically trim off the sides?

Ok thanks for that. So if I want to add a 2 inch border to a 20x16 print, it then makes the image size 22.42x18.42 - if I then change the height to 20" with the proportions constrained the resulting image is 20x16.432 - so 16 and a half inches - yet the printers say that the image uploaded should be 16x20 inches exactly - so do they automatically trim off the sides?

Not too sure about your maths.....

To me a 20x16 inch print with a 2inch border all round becomes 24x20 i.e. 4 inches added to each dimension.

FWIW when I used @Tradecanvasprint for my prints they have the facility in the online ordering system to add a border to the uploaded image i.e. for a 20x16 print you can add whatever border you like (it has been a while since I ordered prints (my last order was for canvases ;) ) but think I recall they have default border of 1/4 inch so you just add the extra needed to get 2inches.

HTH and that I have understood what you have said :thinking:

PS I thought in PS to add a border it was done expanding the 'canvas' so to speak....i.e. not by the method you describe???
Here you go? https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/how-to/add-border-frame-around-photo.html

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys, so basically there is no way to get an equal width border all the way around any image other than 1x1 aspect ratio ?

So effectively this will be as good as I can get a border (it's cropped to 16x20" but not applied)

trim.jpg

If you want an equal width border on all 4 sides of an image you must calculate it based on the aspect ratio of the image area.......there can be no such thing as an equal width border without following that caveat.

Ok thanks guys, so basically there is no way to get an equal width border all the way around any image other than 1x1 aspect ratio ?

So effectively this will be as good as I can get a border (it's cropped to 16x20" but not applied)

View attachment 355660
No you can't put a 2" border all around the image and maintain the same aspect ratio.

What I would do is position the image so that the top and side borders are all the same dimension and have a thicker border at the bottom.

Thanks, I think I've realised what I should do with my crops - the original image is 16.603 inches x 13.32 inches - so I must have custom cropped in Lightroom or Photoshop when I post-processed the image - if I crop the image to 16x12 inches exactly then I can get it with equal borders all the way around... which looks better still, it's slightly shaved a bit off but I think with an equal sized border (if I'm right in thinking it's equal - it looks it to me!) it looks better.

Tryfan 16x12.jpg

Back