Printing at A3 size

Name
Jezz
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a Canon ip6600 printer that does a reasonable job on A4 size prints, but I want to print a handful of images larger than this - A3 ish, for my local club photo competitions. Has anyone any experience with on-line phot printing services? Any recommendations or definite no-nos?
Thoughts & comments very welcome.

I've had hundreds of 6x4s, 10 A3s, and 4 30x20 ins done by Photobox and all have been excellent. The A3s and 30x20s were particularly outstanding. The prices have been good, and delivery within two days.

Now, in a very short space of time somebody is going to come along and tell you how crap Photobox is, what a mess they made of their colours, their orders got lost or delayed for weeks, and they used The Acme Print and Widget Company which produced good results but cost five times more but it was really worth it. Your mileage may vary.

I have 2 x A3 prints and a A2 print coming today from Photobox so I will let you know my opinion later. This is part of my 1st order with them (due to introductory offer) so I am a touch apprehensive.
The smaller prints arrived on Friday and if the photo paper used was any thinner it would have been transparent!
The A2 print is the one giving me the most concern as I have one here from Loxley so I will have a good comparison. For what it's worth they are both the same price.

Well postie has been and nowt from Photobox. Phoned them and they have not printed it yet! :(

I have 2 x A3 prints and a A2 print coming today from Photobox so I will let you know my opinion later. This is part of my 1st order with them (due to introductory offer) so I am a touch apprehensive.
The smaller prints arrived on Friday and if the photo paper used was any thinner it would have been transparent!
The A2 print is the one giving me the most concern as I have one here from Loxley so I will have a good comparison. For what it's worth they are both the same price.

Mine are printed on Fuji paper, and while not quite as thick as Canon and Ilford Gallerie paper, they're not much thinner. I'll have a look at Loxley for my next print, so that I can have a more balanced view.

DS Colour Labs get my vote....fantastic service (from my branch in Didsbury, Manchester anyway), fantastic prices and the paper is nice too :D

I've had hundreds of 6x4s, 10 A3s, and 4 30x20 ins done by Photobox and all have been excellent. The A3s and 30x20s were particularly outstanding. The prices have been good, and delivery within two days.

Now, in a very short space of time somebody is going to come along and tell you how crap Photobox is, what a mess they made of their colours, their orders got lost or delayed for weeks, and they used The Acme Print and Widget Company which produced good results but cost five times more but it was really worth it. Your mileage may vary.

I'll be the one for that 2nd paragraph then - used them twice, crap service crap (all binned) prints :shake:

It was just a test to see if my pro-lab's worth it - answer... an emphatic YES

DD

Many thanks for all of your replies - there's certainly plenty there ofr me to try.
I'll keep you posted with the outcomes
Cheers.
TB

Received email this morning from Photobox stating that the 1st part of my order, I received this on Sat, has just been dispatched!

That's service for you!

Arrived this afternoon and is OK.

Which brings up another question, packing an A2/3 in a tube, is there a correct way?

Do you roll the pic up with the print side facing inwards or outwards? :thinking:

They don't do A2 online.

Do they send A2 flat pack and how much is an A2 print?

cheers

Do they send A2 flat pack and how much is an A2 print?

cheers

Having checked the website I see that prints above 18 x 12inch are using inkjet printers so it's possible an A2 might not be quite as good quality as their other prints...best thing to do is give them a call, always found them very helpful

simon

Back