Printing for outdoors

Edit My Images
Yes
odd title I know :D

I was chatting to a friend tonight who is a trainer at the local gym, mentioned taking photos etc and he got really excited as he thinks the manager is after some for the gym of the layout etc.

I mentioned that it would be cool to have the trainers photographed and placed outside so that people could see what they could look like etc.

He was straight on the phone and his boss has said to come up with some ideas for it and get back to him.

So, what I need is advice on printing on a material that will be used outdoors in all weathers. It will literally but cut and placed in the bricked off windows of the building, the range from 3ft to 6ft in size. So it needs to be printable, able to cut it to size and water proof.

Any suggestions? Can you print onto thickish vinyl?

H there

You need either a solvent or a latex printer. As these are waterproof.
You will then need a seal either gloss or matt which ever you prefer for it to not fade in the sunlight.

There are many different medias you can you print on, it sounds like you will need a simple vinyl material that you can stick on. (although it can be tricky to apply larger prints accurately)

Alternatively print straight onto a foamex oor a dibond board, i suppose if they were cut to the exact size then you could simply place them in posistion.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Acrylic is another option. Durable, but heavy and expensive in larger sizes.

Most Wide format inkjet printers will accept a banner material.

or you could use a kind of 'swinger' board and mount it on the wall. this will give a plastic box for the picture to sit in and then the image only needs to printed on paper.

initial outlay for the display box will be more, but printing of the image would be a lot cheaper and you can change it whenever you want.

loads and loads of companies doing the forecourt type advertising boards. have a google.

Back