Printing from iMac - Magenta colour cast

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
No
Guys
Does or has anyone had a problem with a Magenta colour cast when printing from an IMac, if yes, did you get a solution? if yes, what was the issue.

Its driving me mad.........

Phil

Phil

Some more information please. What printer are you using? is your monitor calibrated? Are you using a colour managed workflow, or is the printer managing the colour. Also what paper and inks are you using.

Hi John

Canon IP4950
Stock Canon inks which came with the printer.
Epson Premium Glossy (but it also happens with other papers) never tried Canon papers
The monitor is calibrated with Spyder Pro3
LR managed printing or PS managed whichever Im using
Printer colour management turned off.

Phil

Phil I have pro 9000 mk1 and b&w printing gives me a slight cast sometimes magenta, less often green. There is only 1black ink which is in part the cause. I have tried plug ins etc to no avail, different papers with the ICC profiles also but still no. The cast also looks different under different lighting as one might expect...hence I am in the process of changing printers.
Are you talking about B&W or colour prints or both? Either, you need to check the profiles, for my printer some don't exist and it is guess work and choosing standard glossy I have found does not work.

Phil

Do do see the same colour cast when you use the soft proof option in Lightroom? I've tried to find profiles for Epson paper on a Canon printer and can't find any. They seem to only give profiles for their printers . It may be that the profile you are using isn't suitable. I'd try some small size of Canon paper and use that papers profile. Alternatively try Ilford paper. I've always found their canned profiles to be reasonably close.

Phil I have pro 9000 mk1 and b&w printing gives me a slight cast sometimes magenta, less often green. There is only 1black ink which is in part the cause. I have tried plug ins etc to no avail, different papers with the ICC profiles also but still no. The cast also looks different under different lighting as one might expect...hence I am in the process of changing printers.
Are you talking about B&W or colour prints or both? Either, you need to check the profiles, for my printer some don't exist and it is guess work and choosing standard glossy I have found does not work.

Its with both B&W and Colour, Pauld

Thanks for the info.

Phil

Phil

Do do see the same colour cast when you use the soft proof option in Lightroom? I've tried to find profiles for Epson paper on a Canon printer and can't find any. They seem to only give profiles for their printers . It may be that the profile you are using isn't suitable. I'd try some small size of Canon paper and use that papers profile. Alternatively try Ilford paper. I've always found their canned profiles to be reasonably close.

Hi John

The colour cast isn't there on the soft proof, will try some Canon papers as you suggest John.

Phil

Phil what happens if you let the printer control the printing instead of lightroom?

Phil what happens if you let the printer control the printing instead of lightroom?

The same thing Pauld

Ive ordered some new ink, will give it another go when they turn up, but I feel It'll be out of the window before long.

Phil

Just a bit of an update guys

New Cyan / Magenta inks fitted (cheap compatibles), and printing from LR, Ive ticked the 16bit printing box and selected Relative printing, raised the brightness from LR to +20 (As images were coming out dark), the Magenta cast gone, its still not printing the same as what is on the screen, but nearly. Will do some more tests unchecked the 16 bit and see what happens.

Some more work needed, thanks for the comments and advice, will keep you updated of progress.

Phil

Back