Printing .icc etc.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Not been around for ages, good to be back.:)

New to DXO 6 and not done any prints of my images for around 5 years, forgotten everything.

I have a calibrated (with i1 Gretag Macbeth) Benq monitor.

Used to have a cannon printer and the correct icc profiles for my Ilford smooth pearl paper, paper still in stock and loved at the time.

Now have an Epsom ET-2711 tank printer, the only problem is I do not have a matching icc profile for the paper and Ilford do not provide for the Epson. I have tried printing a calibration sheet, but the colours are dull compared to my monitor.

Any ideas as to how I can manually adjust the images in DXO for printing, if not, how do I get an icc profile made without buying expensive kit?

Many thanks.

New to DXO 6 and not done any prints of my images for around 5 years, forgotten everything.

Used to have a cannon printer and the correct icc profiles for my Ilford smooth pearl paper, paper still in stock and loved at the time.

Now have an Epsom ET-2711 tank printer, the only problem is I do not have a matching icc profile for the paper and Ilford do not provide for the Epson. I have tried printing a calibration sheet, but the colours are dull compared to my monitor.

Any ideas as to how I can manually adjust the images in DXO for printing, if not, how do I get an icc profile made without buying expensive kit?

Many thanks.

Many paper manufacturers offer a free calibration service. Not sure about Ilford though.

Failing that you'll have to spend some money on the kit to do it yourself or perhaps find a friendly photographer here who has the kit and may be able to do it for you if you send them the calibration sheet.

Remember that any calibration print you do must be done without profiles of any kind. Here are instructions on how to do that by Fotospeed
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrMbwO8L4M

Many thanks.
I note that the i1 Greytag Macbeth is approx 15 years old and it seems that from what I read the internal components can age and thus become unreliable for monitor calibration???

What model BenQ monitor do you have?

In regard to getting a bespoke icc profile, firstly as @ecoleman points out there is a specific protocol for printing the calibration charts. There are some service providers who will create profiles......one I recall reading of IIRC charges £15 per profile. I will try to find their website?

Edit
Found it here and no doubt there are others.....?

Last edited:
Many thanks to you both.

I contacted Ilford apparently they do not offer free calibration for a ET-2711 as they don't class it as a Photo printer. Will check out the video as to exactly what I need to do, with luck I will understand it.

Yep, the i1 Greytag Macbeth is old and point taken about components ageing. Any suggestion for reasonably priced replacement? The Benq is also getting on its, the GW2765.

I will also check out Colourphil.

Checked out both of your work, impressive, afraid I am not in the same league. @Box Brownie turns out I was already following you on 500px.

Thanks again.

If you get a box of Fotospeed Smooth Pearl 290, they will do a free ICC profile for you, and it may give reasonable results with the Ilford paper, as they look pretty similar. Or am I being naive?

If you get a box of Fotospeed Smooth Pearl 290, they will do a free ICC profile for you, and it may give reasonable results with the Ilford paper, as they look pretty similar. Or am I being naive?
I was on fotospeed website last night and noticed that sell Ilford so they would probably do a profile for the Ilford paper too.

I was on fotospeed website last night and noticed that sell Ilford so they would probably do a profile for the Ilford paper too.
Always worth asking, though I have a vague memory that their free profiling service is only for their own brand papers.

So potentially, if they would profile Ilford papers, that they might charge for the service?

Always worth asking, though I have a vague memory that their free profiling service is only for their own brand papers.

So potentially, if they would profile Ilford papers, that they might charge for the service?

They have profiled Marrutt papers for me before along with some fotospeed. They are usually very helpful.

FWIW
I bought some papers from https://www.paperspectrum.co.uk/pinnacle-photo-inkjet-paper-15-c.asp and they too offer a free profiling service.

I first bought their sample pack of papers to see how well they printed and which surface finishes I preferred.

Then I ordered some of IIRC 3 papers, following tue order being placed I requested their profiling service. They sent IIRC 3 off of each paper @A4 size with from their website instructions & the calibration targets to be printed on those sheets.

Printed>sent back >bespoke profiles emailed back:)

Edit
As noted by another poster above, the icc profiling target images must be printed without any colour management being applied.

Adobe have a solution to that problem and I used the method (fairly sure Paper Spectrum had this as the advised method) here.....

Last edited:
Remember that any calibration print you do must be done without profiles of any kind. Here are instructions on how to do that by Fotospeed
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrMbwO8L4M
I had some problems at first with ACPU, the software used for the calibration print. At first I thought it wouldn't run on my Mac under Ventura, but actually it just required me to agree to installing an un-verified app! As it happens though, I ran it from a Win PC as it was USB-connected to my printer; I had some problems with the Wifi connection to the printer dropping partway through, something that never normally happens. AFAIK the profile should be the same whether printed from Win or Mac...

Back