Printing myself or using a service with non standard print sizes?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks,

Our HP B9180 A3+ printer has finally given up the ghost.

Printing at home is expensive but gives lots of flexibility and instant results to be able to tweak your final image which we have really appreciated.

We are used to being able to print any size we want without having to worry about print ratios etc..

The question:-

Does anybody allow non standard print sizes so we don't have to mess about extending canvas sizes etc.. ?

Or

Do we just buy a decent A3 / A3+ printer? (struggling to find one that reviews well and gets rated as relatively trouble free)

Not a very clear question i know sorry....

Thoughts?

all depends on budget and volume of prints you planning to do

maybe it's just better to get epson 4900 pro (second hand, currently saw one on ebay for around £900 and pretty sure you could negotiate the price)

all depends on budget and volume of prints you planning to do

maybe it's just better to get epson 4900 pro (second hand, currently saw one on ebay for around £900 and pretty sure you could negotiate the price)

hey, thanks for the replies....

I bought A Canon Pro 1 in the end....

hey, thanks for the replies....

I bought A Canon Pro 1 in the end....
Awesome! I'm in the market for a Pro 1 too but am totally new to printing my own images, I'd love to know what you think of it? Inks are pricey but have 3x the typical amount in an A3+ printer. I've found a full set for £200 online (RRP £350)

Awesome! I'm in the market for a Pro 1 too but am totally new to printing my own images, I'd love to know what you think of it? Inks are pricey but have 3x the typical amount in an A3+ printer. I've found a full set for £200 online (RRP £350)

I had a HP B9180 that did well until it "died" after 5 years of usage.

I print for competition with my local camera club and the Chiltern Association of Camera Clubs (CACC). I am also a certified judge for the CACC.

I plugged the printer in, set it up and just printed my first 6 images without calibrating it.

It was smooth quick and the print output is excellent for both colour and B&W and I don't think I will bother calibrating.

I would certainly be very happy as a judge with the quality of the printing

Amazon sell the inks for about 200 so its not too horrendous

It is however huge and needs a big space around it in the front and back.

Martin

I had a HP B9180 that did well until it "died" after 5 years of usage.

I print for competition with my local camera club and the Chiltern Association of Camera Clubs (CACC). I am also a certified judge for the CACC.

I plugged the printer in, set it up and just printed my first 6 images without calibrating it.

It was smooth quick and the print output is excellent for both colour and B&W and I don't think I will bother calibrating.

I would certainly be very happy as a judge with the quality of the printing

Amazon sell the inks for about 200 so its not too horrendous

It is however huge and needs a big space around it in the front and back.

Martin
Thanks for this :) I originally planned to have it in my cupboard with limited spare room, why would you suggest room in the back? For manual feeding?
Kind regards,
Chad

Thanks for this :) I originally planned to have it in my cupboard with limited spare room, why would you suggest room in the back? For manual feeding?
Kind regards,
Chad

The paper is fed in from the top and the feed tray leans out the back by about 8-10" and the paper tray sticks out the front another 8-10" so it gets pretty big

Martin

The paper is fed in from the top and the feed tray leans out the back by about 8-10" and the paper tray sticks out the front another 8-10" so it gets pretty big

Martin
Oh really? Would you say it's possible to feed it with a roll of paper using the manual feed and a make shift roller fixed to a wall for example?

Oh really? Would you say it's possible to feed it with a roll of paper using the manual feed and a make shift roller fixed to a wall for example?

Possibly....

Alignment would be key of course

The manual tray opens about 2" and is at about a 45 degree angle to the back when open

Back