printing on to objects

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been reading a bit about photographers who print onto objects or sheets of copper etc. I have not been able to find out much about this process today with google. If I understand correctly a digital image can be used to create a positive print like in screen printing but I don't know what happens after that.

I was thinking about experimenting a bit by printing onto objects like tins, sheets of metal or old crockery. May sound a bit weird but if anybody can enlighten me about this process, I would be grateful.

Note - the link above is for dye sublimation printers - wrong link - that link is to a type of printer.

Confusing - as the process is known as sublimation - which as any chemist will tell you, is the process of solid to gas without being liquid - or vice versa!

have a look at

magic touch - colour lazer and inkjet
novachrome - inkjet

conde systems - USA but excellent videos showing the process

The basic rule
Lazer - ordinary toner - special paper - ordinary products
injket - special ink - ordinary paper - coated products

Have a look at Lazertran

http://www.lazertran.com/techniques/ceramics.htm

This works by printing your image with an ordinary inkjet printer, soaking in water, and then sliding off the backing like a transfer.

the ink does not run, and you can put it on just about any surface like wood, metal, glass, pottery and even candles.

Well worth a try.

Alan

snappingsam said:
Note - the link above is for dye sublimation printers - wrong link - that link is to a type of printer.

Confusing - as the process is known as sublimation - which as any chemist will tell you, is the process of solid to gas without being liquid - or vice versa!

have a look at

magic touch - colour lazer and inkjet
novachrome - inkjet

conde systems - USA but excellent videos showing the process

The basic rule
Lazer - ordinary toner - special paper - ordinary products
injket - special ink - ordinary paper - coated products

Oops, didn't read carefully enough!

Thanks for the responses, I will have a look at these links in more detail over the next week. I found out about this process when reading this months edition of black & white photography magazine, it had a feature on a photographer named Heidi Kirkpatrick. It stated in the article that she prints on to "film positives"? to get her work onto tins, boxes etc and it seems like an interesting process, I would like to learn it if possible, if it is not too expensive I mean. :|

There is a link to the article here in PDF

Back