Printing prints

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently use dscl however just wondered if I'm using the best. Who else would you use? I need consistency of colours and high quality prints

Cheers

do a search in these forums for your answers - it has been covered umpteen times.

Only you can decide what is best.

Yeah thanks I would normally buy using iPhone and not easy

so do you need to know the answer right now?

if so -

DSCL, Loxley, One Vision, Dunns, ProAmm Imaging, Peak Imaging - the list is too big but all have plus and minus points.

As for the iPhone thing - I don't buy it and think you are being lazy - IMHO of course.

I switched from DSCL to Simlabs well over a year ago and have been very happy with the quality and of packaging/courier service.

Peak imaging are very good for larger prints.

Depends what you mean by "The best". Loxley are excellent for standard prints but I've started creating a paper archive of my best images and ended up choosing The Print Space in Shoreditch (London). They print to Gielee paper (thicker archival/exhibition paper) and it's stunning, significantly above any of the standard Loxley prints I've had. But then at £20 for an 18x12 they should be...

For any high quality prints (such as mantlepiece style prints) i'm going to be using The Print Space from now on.

Depends what you mean by "The best". Loxley are excellent for standard prints but I've started creating a paper archive of my best images and ended up choosing The Print Space in Shoreditch (London). They print to Gielee paper (thicker archival/exhibition paper) and it's stunning, significantly above any of the standard Loxley prints I've had. But then at £20 for an 18x12 they should be...

For any high quality prints (such as mantlepiece style prints) i'm going to be using The Print Space from now on.

I just got a test strip back form the print space. Best print I've ever held, despite a less than optimal source image (2.3x enlargement to get to 300 ppi). Will be ordering the full 40x50cm once I get home.

DSCL I'd use for large runs of small prints for an album or similar. 1 offs for frames and large prints I will be a print space customer.

I'd recommend their £6 print and paper sample pack first. there's a large choice and it's handy to see what the outcome is first hand.

I agree with the paper sample pack, it's actually the main reason I chose them, and they were within travelling distance so I can pick up images when I want.

The only thing I don't like about the sample pack is that they aren't all the same image. I understand why but I'd love to be able to see what the same print looked like on all the papers. I ended up printing two of the same image on several different types to test it.

you mean inkjet :LOL:

you mean inkjet :LOL:

Perhaps but it's significantly better than most home print paper and any other non Giclee print paper I've had printed...;)

And the choice of 10 different papers of totally different style (although some are C type so definitely not inkjet!) beats most printers.

I ended up with hahnemuehle pearl paper for my colour prints and C type Matt for my B&W prints. The colour ones especially are stunning compared to even Loxley!

Last edited:
Perhaps but it's significantly better than most home print paper and any other non Giclee print paper I've had printed...;)

And the choice of 10 different papers of totally different style (although some are C type so definitely not inkjet!) beats most printers.

I ended up with hahnemuehle pearl paper for my colour prints and C type Matt for my B&W prints. The colour ones especially are stunning compared to even Loxley!

all their paper is home print paper lol. I've got their catalogue of paper in the cupboard lol

The hahnemuehle catalogue? Whoop de do! ;)

Either way the paper is significantly nice feeling than any of the standard inkjet paper I've felt (and more expensive) and the final product is significantly better than any inkjet print I've seen, be that home or Loxley prints which for me is all that matters, the final product.

The hahnemuehle catalogue? Whoop de do! ;)

Either way the paper is significantly nice feeling than any of the standard inkjet paper I've felt (and more expensive) and the final product is significantly better than any inkjet print I've seen, be that home or Loxley prints which for me is all that matters, the final product.

not just hahnemuhle ;)

if you have a decent epson inkjet printer (Epson R2400 for example) then you'll not see a difference between that and the larger Epson units that the print space use (infact on smaller prints you will since the print droplets are smaller ;) )

on a side note it is odd that they ask for the images to be at 300dpi when the native resolution is multiples of 360dpi so if you want the best quality that's you print at with the Epson printers

if you have a decent epson inkjet printer (Epson R2400 for example) then you'll not see a difference between that and the larger Epson units that the print space use (infact on smaller prints you will since the print droplets are smaller ;) )

Unless of course you want a print bigger than 13" on the short side ;)

The print space do a sample pack, so I'd recommend ordering that. The quality really is great, even compared to DSCL. And a good choice of papers as mentioned

not just hahnemuhle ;)

on a side note it is odd that they ask for the images to be at 300dpi when the native resolution is multiples of 360dpi so if you want the best quality that's you print at with the Epson printers

In which case (serious question here) if you can offer better quality prints (print, colour, paper, finish) from your home setup than loxley and as good/better than the print space I'd love to see a like for like comparison (an 18x12 from a home inkjet setup using the same image compared to prints I have of that same image at 18x12 by both Loxley and The Print Space).

I'm just a bit sceptical considering all the home printed inkjet (even prints by "professional" photogs) images I've seen are only just on par with Loxley at their best (most being considerably worse), let alone the prints I got back from TPS. I'm guessing they won't be £20 a print either...

Either way, I'm not that interested in the tech behind it all, I'm just interested in the best print quality which is what this thread is about. IME that is TPS, even if it is using trumped up marketing terms and charge a lot. The final product is worth it (to me at least, for specific purposes).:)

Last edited:
Back