printing prorile help(dscl)

Name
scott
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all. firstly i have used dscl for a while now and never noticed it untill today, i have some that i want to print but when i convert to dscl profiles it looks washed out(reds more so) is this because my monitor can not cope with the profile, confused:thinking:.
not onverted (standard rgb)
SJB_3162.jpg

converted to (dscl dp2 colour frontier)
SJB_3162dp2profilenb.jpg

just been playing and the only way i can get it to be identical is, when i have done all the editing and it looks good(ready for converting to the printing profile) is to assign a profile (dscl own) then convert to dcsl profile and save and when viewed back it looks identical to the original(dont know if thats right what im doing).

I've just finished editing some photos and when soft proofing the colours changed also. I assumed this is just my monitor compensating but called them up and they said that when I assign their profile I should then make sure it looks on screen as I want the print to look so I'll have to do some further editing.

Not sure what to think now! lol

I've just finished editing some photos and when soft proofing the colours changed also. I assumed this is just my monitor compensating but called them up and they said that when I assign their profile I should then make sure it looks on screen as I want the print to look so I'll have to do some further editing.

Not sure what to think now! lol
thats what i thought that it shoul look like its suppose to, but if i edit the red after it just doesnt look like it should do, i have tried converting before and after and its no different,the only way i can get it to look like what i have editied, is when i have done all the editing and it looks good(ready for converting to the printing profile) is to assign a profile (dscl own) then convert to dcsl profile and save and when viewed back it looks identical to the original(dont know if thats right what im doing(in cs4 it looks different to when i view it out of cs4)

I don't think I've got enough colour management knowledge to help you to be honest. I've just went through a batch and assigned DSCL's profile and had to sort the saturation out again so it looks right on screen [calibrated].

That's what they told me to do so will now send them off for printing and see what's comes back! lol

I don't think I've got enough colour management knowledge to help you to be honest. I've just went through a batch and assigned DSCL's profile and had to sort the saturation out again so it looks right on screen [calibrated].

That's what they told me to do so will now send them off for printing and see what's comes back! lol
i have tried everything.

if i edit it then (1) assign there profile(not convert assign) then (2) convert it to there profile as they say, the colours look darker in(cs4)
but when viewed out of cs4 they look identical to the original srgb edit.:thinking:

if i just do what dscl say which is edit it,then convert it to there profile the colours look washed out viewing in cs4 and out of cs4(identical).

Last edited:
the wash out is irrelavent because you've assigned a profile. what you are seeing is the colour difference inorder to get a matched print.

edit then convert then upload

Last edited:
this confuses me, one moment it states what you see is what you get then it states,

Know your output device! Noritsu and Frontier Photo printers DO NOT read embedded profiles.

What does this mean? It means that since the numbers haven't changed because of the assignment, that even if your image appears better and brighter in the ColorMatch assignment, it will still print looking like the original way it looked in the original sRGB profile. (or closer to that than the ColorMatch appearance).

What do you do? To preserve the brighter and better look of the recently assigned ColorMatch image, you must "Convert" to either a specified Noritsu or Frontier profile (provided by the service bureau) or convert back to the sRGB space, which is closer to the gamut of these printers! The Convert to Profile command will now "change" those color numbers to have the right meaning in the closer gamut sRGB or actual Noritsu/Frontier color space profile, while preserving the current monitor appearance generated from the Assign to Color Match command.

http://www.photoshopmama.net/l_assignconvert.html

Last edited:
I use DSCL all the time but just edit in SRGB and save/upload the images in the same colourspace, I always use the "pro" printing options (no editing etc by DSCL) - prints have always been excellent :shrug:

Simon

I use DSCL all the time but just edit in SRGB and save/upload the images in the same colourspace, I always use the "pro" printing options (no editing etc by DSCL) - prints have always been excellent :shrug:

Simon
do you not convert to there profile then, i have sent 6 images as srgb and the sme 6 with there profile. i will see which is better,

Hmm, I convert to dscl's profile, and then re-edit to make sure what is on screen is what I want printed. Has worked pretty well for me so far, and I make sure they print pro so it doesn't change.
Will be interested to hear your outcome though incase I'm doing things wrong!

got my prints back today, and must say im not happy, when i convert at the end it looks washed out, the print i get back looks like it also so it doesnt look like the original srgb, sent some srgb ones of which come back looking darker but better than there profile, not right but better.
if anyone wants to try convert the first one i posted and edit after to try get the right colour of the dress, as i have tried alsorts and can not match the colour.also try this, photo when its converted to dscl lutre profile the red looks terrible.
SJB_3262e7-1.jpg

Last edited:
The red does lose a little bit of its vibrance when converted. I noticed this with my own photos but I quite like the red that it changes to and it doesn's seem like a huge shift to be honest. I'm using a calibrated monitor.

hi graham, i find it a big difference, i am also using a calibrated monitor(with spyder 3 pro), and what my print looked like on my monitor after i converted the profile to dscl own, the print looks identical to it, but its not right, the srgb ones i sent come back better,(still not right on the red vut closer than dscl profile one)
heres what one look like converted to dscls profile again,(nothing like above)

SJB_3262dscl.jpg

I'd be far from happy if it came back looking like the image above - if you're going to be using them regularly, can't you adjust your monitor to suit the sRGB prints you got back from them and just use that in future? I don't bother with their profile either and they come back on the money, and I don't have a calibrated screen - probably just lucky, but what I see is what I get.

Did you get the calibration print from them?

Last edited:
I'd be far from happy if it came back looking like the image above - if you're going to be using them regularly, can't you adjust your monitor to suit the sRGB prints you got back from them and just use that in future? I don't bother with their profile either and they come back on the money, and I don't have a calibrated screen - probably just lucky, but what I see is what I get.

Did you get the calibration print from them?
hi derek, i have used them alot, and have only really just noticed because of the amount of red, other colour do change slighly like pinks, purples ever so slightly,
i have just sent 3 more pics of adjusted different ways, and am also getting them printed them same but with there colour correction done to,
i just had six done with 6 being just srgb, and the other 6 there profiles, as i said the srgb all look better even skin tones.
the test print i had done had no red so i thought it was great.
but if push comes to shove i will be using srgb and adjusting my monitor as you say.
what pess me off is on dscl site they state.
Editing your Files.

Edit your images in a standard working space such as Adobe SRGB not a printer profile.

Working spaces are designed for editing images, printer spaces are not. From this point you have a file that can be sent to any printer. If you are sending your files to our lab please convert files to our profiles in Photoshop by selecting Image/Mode/convert to profile and then select our profile which will be in the list. For users of Photoshop CS2/3/4 choose Edit/convert to Profile.

so i contacted them and they said convert it first then work on it, which contradicts what they state as you wont be working in an srgb space but a printer profile which should not be done.

Last edited:
It does contradict what they say on the website without a doubt - maybe with a bit of faffing around you could apply the profile first, then create an action that changes the hue/saturation, etc. of the various colours to match what you want, not what they want to give you? Maybe a daft idea... never mind... :D

It does contradict what they say on the website without a doubt - maybe with a bit of faffing around you could apply the profile first, then create an action that changes the hue/saturation, etc. of the various colours to match what you want, not what they want to give you? Maybe a daft idea... never mind... :D
i know what you mean derek, i even tried, cant get the colour no way near, i no expert on cs4 so if anyone wants to have a o feel free, i would love it if some one could tell me.

Scott, do you ever get prints from anywhere else to compare these to? I had a £30 voucher for Photobox that I used the other week, and was expecting rubbish back, TBH (many on here slate them) - no profile to apply or anything. They also came back spot on the money and stunning quality.... I put a couple of them side by side with the same DSCL prints and exactly the same in every respect.

Really just to try and establish if it's only DSCL, or if it's going to be an across the board thing with printers for you?

Scott, do you ever get prints from anywhere else to compare these to? I had a £30 voucher for Photobox that I used the other week, and was expecting rubbish back, TBH (many on here slate them) - no profile to apply or anything. They also came back spot on the money and stunning quality.... I put a couple of them side by side with the same DSCL prints and exactly the same in every respect.

Really just to try and establish if it's only DSCL, or if it's going to be an across the board thing with printers for you?

i think i will have to try some other derek, and will see how i get on.

Applying the profile makes significant changes to the histogram, although not really to the red channel. Profile one is the bottom one - it's washed out as it's pulling the blacks in.... I opened both the above in ACR, and the profile image is showing the background as totally blown out, whereas the original isn't....

e9bssl.jpg

thanks derek,
right i tried another photo adjusted 3 different ways, and also the same 3 with dscl auto colour correction, the srgb ones come back best, the srgb with there auto colour correction had the closet reds but it had washed the skin tones out.

dscl profile come back light(as i expected) and with auto colour correction even lighter blowing some skin tones(terrible results).
so for best results i will be using srgb(pro only)(and managing reds very carefuly)

Adobe or sRGB? (Assuming it has the same choices as the Canon).
The way in which the bins for the levels of light are different between the two.

I use DSCL own profile and it seems very good comparing what i have on my screen. Only issue i get is the black and white mages have a different tone especially on te facial areas compared to my desktop images ( DSCL--is darker tones )
have you any images with a nice red colour in them mark, if you do try converting them, i never noticed untull i shot 2 pics with a vibrant red how muted dscl profile wa making them,

Back