printing size help

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon1d mk11 and have decided to print some photos rather than having them on my pc? Can anybody point me in the right direction of aspect ratios. I had a print done at 16x12 and lost a little but not much. Is there an easy way of working out what the correct print size is (or even better an app lol) I don't mind losing a little bit but don't want them to look stretched. I also need to produce a digital file of no more than 1024 x 768 and have no idea what the nearest I can go. I really can't get my head around it??
Thanks

All Canon DSLR photos will have an aspect ratio of 3:2, 16x12 is 4:3 which is a compact camera and micro 4/3rds aspect ratio.

Nex t time you want to get the print done at 18x12, which is almost exactly the same as 16x12 but slightly longer which means no cropping of your image.:) Other aspect ratios you could use without cropping are 6x4, 12x8 and 24x16.:)

I use Lightroom and export to a jpg the exact pixel dimensions I want for printing.

Starting with the raw image.. process as normal.

Check the aspect ratio of the print size you want and crop to match this (so for 18x12 that's 3x2 or 6x4, for 16x12 that's 4x3).

Export as a jpg, and under the resize option select the longest edge to match the longest edge of the print - I think you can do this in inches, but I usually use pixels (inches x dpi, usually 300dpi so 12" @300dpi =3,600px).

You can use the same export and resize to get to your target max 1024x768, set the longest edge to 1,024 pixels.

Back