Printing size problems please help

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I posted the other night with a request for help regarding a printing problem,I thought I had solved it but I aint:bonk: I want to print an image at A5 but my printer, Epson Px 700w, doesn't have that option, so I thought if I changed the canvas size to A5 measurements 210 by 148mm and printed onto A4 I could just cut it out. This works only the image is only 140mm by210mm can anyone please enlighten me as to why this is and any suggestions as to how I can do it.... Mick

Last edited:
Sorry for giving it a bump but people might have looked previously and thought I'd got sorted

It probably has something to do with 3:2 ratio ie: 6x4; 12x8 etc and because you had Constrain Proportions ticked in PS
If you are using Photoshop try IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE then put in your A5 measurements under Document Size and untick the Constrain Proportions box....your image may now take on a slightly different shape (which may be OK or may look slightly elongated)
Dave

If you are using Photoshop you could leave printer settings at A4. Open a New document - 'A4, 300dpi, White'. Now you have your A4 sheet, using the Move tool drag your A5 image into it, holding down ctrl+shift will place it in the center. With the print preview you should see your A5 image is placed on the A4 sheet, then all you have to do it cut as required after printing.

Last edited:
what are you using to setup the prints ?. photoshop or other

Cheers Steve
I'm using CS5 Steve

It probably has something to do with 3:2 ratio ie: 6x4; 12x8 etc and because you had Constrain Proportions ticked in PS
If you are using Photoshop try IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE then put in your A5 measurements under Document Size and untick the Constrain Proportions box....your image may now take on a slightly different shape (which may be OK or may look slightly elongated)
Dave
Tried this but then when I print out at A4 it fills the sheet

If you are using Photoshop you could leave printer settings at A4. Open a New document - 'A4, 300dpi, White'. Now you have your A4 sheet, using the Move tool drag your A5 image into it, holding down ctrl+shift will place it in the center. With the print preview you should see your A5 image is placed on the A4 sheet, then all you have to do it cut as required after printing.
Tried this but I must be getting something wrong cos when I drag the resized image onto the blank document it fills it and some

Lets start from scratch.

Some of this is already requested.

Image size in pixels and resolution (ppi value) - you can get this in Ps. Have you cropped the image so it's set to 148 x 210?

When you send the image to print and click print settings what options do you have? Borderless should be off as it will resize the image but you may then end up with a border you don't want.

If your image is filling the page if you move to the centre of an A4, then I would guess that in Ps you have the "scale to fit media" box ticked?

Switch that off.

Thanks to you guys for all the help,definately now sorted. A bit of a mix of all suggestions really. Re size made it out of proportion so I ended up entering the A5 size under "canvas", then dragging it onto a blank document,this is the stage I was making a cock of because I was not flattening the image and doc before saving, but another lesson learnt......(y)cheers..Mick

Back