Printing with options...

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not at all sure that's the right thread title, but the best I could come up with!

I started printing using Apple Aperture (of sainted memory!). Over the years I explored more and more of the range of options available. I'm in a local U3A Photography Group, and for a U3A Open Day we put on a display of photos; I printed a bunch of black and white images of fairly local scenes, eg like this...

Aperture print.jpg

(This is a scan of the actual print, which has greatly exaggerated the slight colour cast from my totally inadequate printer!)

Since the demise of Aperture (which I kept going for as long as I decently could) I've been using Capture One Pro; currently on version 21. I really like C1Pro (obviously not as much as Aperture), but the printing part seems considerably weaker. [EDIT} There may of course be options in C1Pro that I'm missing, but I can't find them.

I don't use LR/CS, so I tried in Affinity, but it too seems to have a very basic print module.

Now I guess in Affinity Photo (or maybe Designer) I could probably manipulate the image to add a border and caption, and then straight print that, but it would be a LOT of faff.

So, what I'm coming round to asking is: are there specific print programs that will take an edited JPEG and print it with borders, caption, potentially other effects (that run on a Mac and will tolerate an old manky Canon printer)?

[Edited to simplify]

Last edited:
My Internet searches are bringing up nothing useful. I'm beginning to think I'll need to make it by hand!

It would be very simple and quick to do with Affinity using layers, and very flexible.

My (admittedly very brief) Internet searches show that only the Develop Module and the Map module cease working when you stop your LR sub, so if you get a Lightroom Classic trial, then cancel it but keep the program you should be able to print from the Print module inside it.

The LR Print module is quite powerful for printing - allows you to save paper profiles and templates so that each print becomes much quicker. It also allows placement of a caption and borders (of varying colours & thicknesses)

You can't go wrong with Qimage One.
I use LR and still send my prints to this app which seems to handle upscaling and sharpending much better than LR.

-20% at the moment for Black Friday.
Also a 14 day trial should you prefer to try it first.

Edit: Here is another link from a youtuber which gives you a further 10%

Last edited:
How about an older standalone version of LR?
Pretty sure it was only LR6 that required online authentication.

You can't go wrong with Qimage One.
I use LR and still send my prints to this app which seems to handle upscaling and sharpending much better than LR.

-20% at the moment for Black Friday.
Also a 14 day trial should you prefer to try it first.
Didn’t realise that Qimage now worked on Mac. I used to use it in the bad old days of Widows and it was the only thing I missed.

Didn’t realise that Qimage now worked on Mac. I used to use it in the bad old days of Widows and it was the only thing I missed.

The original Qimage is still Windows only which I believe does have a few more features which are aimed more at professional printers who run large print runs.

Qimage One is a slightly cut down version but does everything you need for small scale / home printing

Just found the link I used to buy Qimage One. This gives a further 10% off.

Back