Printing woes

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
Hey folks,

I have recently obtained a Canon Pixma 9500 series printer and I am having real problems with it.

I am trying to print this image....
IMG_1488755873.817672.jpg

This is how it is printing....
IMG_1488755930.547091.jpg

My workflow as follows:

- Process RAW in Lightroom CC and export as a 16 bit TIFF in Adobe Prophoto space.
- Open and edit in Photoshop CC.

I have tried numerous settings including letting the printer manage colours, letting Photoshop manage them, downloading paper profiles from the paper maker, using the canon profiles for the type of paper, and in all cases the very orange sky is coming out bright pink.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help,
Stephen

I should add that anytime I send prints to a website like DS ColourLab they are a fairly close match to what I have on screen.

Sounds very much like double profiling. Let photoshop manage colour and then in the printer dialogue put the correct paper type and then make sure you disable colour magement.

Sounds very much like double profiling. Let photoshop manage colour and then in the printer dialogue put the correct paper type and then make sure you disable colour magement.

Thanks Gerry. Do you mean disable colour management in printer settings? I'm not sure there is that option.

In the printer settings dialogue, go to the Main tab, and under Colour/Intensity, select Manual. Click the Set button and in the next window, under Colour Correction, select None.

I think :)

Another thing to check is that all of the nozzles are firing correctly, there should be an option somewhere to do a nozzle test/check print.

I'm not sure that this will be the problem but I can't really see any advantages to using the ProPhoto colour space, I find Adobe RGB is generally all you need for editing and then you can export JPEGs as sRGB if required for web and some printers. Unless there is a fault with the printer I'd be thinking this is probably out of colour gamut for the printer.

Hi, Had this kind of problem with my Epson R1900 (printing Pink Skies instead of blue) turned out to be ink contamination, bought a cleaning kit but took three cleans before it worked correctly. I did learn that if you don't print regular then run a nozzle check or print an image just to keep the nozzles clear.
Russ

Thanks for the help everyone. It turns out that 5 of the nozzles are blocked. I have run the deep cleansing on the printer 5 times now and still no luck. I have also tried cleaning the print head in warm water (as a last resort), but still nothing. A new print head is about £100 and the inks about £130. Maybe home printing isn't for me!

Thanks for the help everyone. It turns out that 5 of the nozzles are blocked. I have run the deep cleansing on the printer 5 times now and still no luck. I have also tried cleaning the print head in warm water (as a last resort), but still nothing. A new print head is about £100 and the inks about £130. Maybe home printing isn't for me!
See if you can get hold of some form of ammonia solution, this is much better for cleaning blocked nozzles etc ...

See if you can get hold of some form of ammonia solution, this is much better for cleaning blocked nozzles etc ...

Agree... THIS is the technique I have successfully used in the past on an Epson large format printer... May work on yours, don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong and destroys the print head though!!

If you get good results from DSCL then why should you want to print at home?
Having had lots of problems with home printing in the past, I've given up trying and now have all my large prints produced commercially.

Maybe home printing isn't for me!

With the likes of DSCL, it makes absolutely no financial sense to print from home (for most people). However in terms of producing a photograph from capture to print, I get far more satisfaction from home printing. The quality I produce is far superior to DSCL any day and I get the same feeling of magic I got from developing a wet print. I've not had a print head go on me yet though *searches for wood* so that's how I feel today.

Back