Printing

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
I'm a bit confused with printing, as I'm new to this. I've made my first sale on Etsy and have listed the photo as three sizes, the size purchased is 16x20" - in the sample images included I've got the image with a white border around it.

I haven't stipulated anywhere in the description whether the border is included in the 16x20 print or whether the photo itself is 16x20 - what's the standard practice here? I don't want to sell a 16x12 photo(16x20) paper size if the buyer is expecting a 16x20 photo.. hopefully this makes sense.

IMO a print size of the actual print area.....a border to me is needed if it is intended to mount it.

To avoid (future) confusion I think you should declare on your Etsy Shop that (as I outline above) all prints will be printed with a border (state the border width) and that the size described is the actual print area. As in all things YMMV?

PS for mounting IMO the border should be a minimum of 1/2 inch, ideally min 1 inch.

Last edited:
IMO a print size of the actual print area.....a border to me is needed if it is intended to mount it.

To avoid (future) confusion I think you should declare on your Etsy Shop that (as I outline above) all prints will be printed with a border (state the border width) and that the size described is the actual print area. As in all things YMMV?

PS for mounting IMO the border should be a minimum of 1/2 inch, ideally min 1 inch.

Thanks for the reply.

So do you mean that you think of the actual photograph being 20x16 inches, meaning the paper size will be 20x16 inches plus the border size ? I'm not sure what "print" refers to - the photo + the border or the photograph itself?

Now I wonder too, if there's a standard.
I read this from the perspective of a picture which you intend to retain its border, when mounting / framing.
In this case, I've always understood 20x16 to be the corner to corner physical measurement ie paper size.
Provided the border is narrow, say <10mm it should not matter that it's included in the quoted dimensions. But if you used a really wide border, or intend for it to be cut smaller then be sure to provide picture dimensions too.
HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

So do you mean that you think of the actual photograph being 20x16 inches, meaning the paper size will be 20x16 inches plus the border size ? I'm not sure what "print" refers to - the photo + the border or the photograph itself?

Now I wonder too, if there's a standard.
I read this from the perspective of a picture which you intend to retain its border, when mounting / framing.
In this case, I've always understood 20x16 to be the corner to corner physical measurement ie paper size.
Provided the border is narrow, say <10mm it should not matter that it's included in the quoted dimensions. But if you used a really wide border, or intend for it to be cut smaller then be sure to provide picture dimensions too.
HTH

All I can say is what I have done.

If I say a 12x8 inch (for example) that is the printed area. FWIW printers I have used will add FoC 1/4 inch (as I recall) border...............you can add more border in the online order process as/if needed with the cost increasing appropriately.

IMO I would feel short changed if I bought a 20x16 and the printed area was not that size.

PS and FWIW there was a time when all prints were done borderless and many print sizes are based on the 'older'(?) print papers sizes so there, as you have 'proven', is potential for confusion.....that is why I take the view I do and to avoid doubt if it could be misinterpreted in a online shop situation it should be clear as to exactly what the customer will receive ;)

My view/approach may be and is likely(?) different to other folk, so hopefully others will chime in :)

I mean I guess that I haven't said whether the border is included means that its ok to make the photo 12x16 and the paper size 16x20 (so a 2 inch border) ?

Thanks, yeah this is why I am posting.. the last thing I want to do is get my first (or any order) wrong... so the actual photograph being 16x20" with a 1" border added to it ?

I'd say that's the better option under the circumstances. High road, as per Box Brownie's post too!

I mean I guess that I haven't said whether the border is included means that its ok to make the photo 12x16 and the paper size 16x20 (so a 2 inch border) ?
Yes, though as I mentioned above IMO it is better to state the printed area size (print size ;) ) and add that the print is made on paper size X x Y creating the 2 inch wide border.

When selling anything it is important to avoid potential misunderstandings and complaints i.e. the customer cannot later ask for a refund based on them saying, as in this case 'the print is not the size stated' and/or 'I had no idea it would it would have a 2 inch border....'

Reactions: smr
The problem is I can't make the print 16x20 (actual photo 16x20) with a border added on as there's no matching paper size...

So I've taken the original photograph and cropped it to 16x20 inches, and gone to canvas size and added 2" to the width and height, so a 2" inch border with the resulting image size now set at 22x18 inches - on Simlab there is no paper size matching that ...

There's 21x18, 22x14 and then 24x13

Edit ok realised I'd have to make the paper size 20x24 inches for a 16x20 print

Last edited:
I've messaged the buyer to ask if he wants a border including. I haven't heard from him so I'm not sure what to do.

Could someone have a look at my Etsy shop and tell me what you would expect if you ordered a 16x20" print from this listing:

Should I just get the actual photo printed at that size with no border at all?

I've messaged the buyer to ask if he wants a border including. I haven't heard from him so I'm not sure what to do.

Could someone have a look at my Etsy shop and tell me what you would expect if you ordered a 16x20" print from this listing:

Should I just get the actual photo printed at that size with no border at all?

As a photographer who has printed and mounted my own images.....I would (as mentioned above) expect a border. NB as mentioned IMO borders are critical to correct mounting, if only to avoid the print coming into contact with the glazing in the frame (e.g. a 'clip frame'.

However, with an unknown buyer I could not guess what they might expect or not as the case may be???
(NB I return to my previous post ~ there should IMO be no doubt as what a prospective buyer can expect to receive)

As for the Etsy shop representation................though I cannot see it now I think the page said something like the mount & frame are there only there for display purposes. So that does not inform me, other than thinking there might/would/should be a border, what the print will look like :thinking:

PS in regard to the sizes you list on Etsy:-
12 x 10 is 1:1.2 ratio
20 x 16 is 1:1.25 ratio
24x 20 is 1: 1.2 ratio

So my supposition is that if they are all printed bleed edge (without border) the 12 x 10 & the 24 x 20 will be cropped slightly(?) by the printing company in a way that you cannot control. This will be minor and may not be noticed by anyone............ :thinking: ;) Either that or the various sizes will have some white edge(s) showing that could not be described as a border.

PPS can you say how you are fulffilling the orders?
Are you getting the printer to send them to you to forward to the buyer or is the printer doing a 'white label' shipment on your behalf? I know it is a bit late to suggest it....................but why not order for yourself via Etsy if it is 'white label' shipped one of the 12 x10 and the 20 x 16 to check and see if you are happy that the customer will receive what you expect they should & that as the ratios are difference, whether one is cropped or has a white edge(s)?

HTH

This is a very good question that has been asked as I am to have open an esty a/c with the purpose of selling prints !

I was going to offer just a few sizes of 4-6 prints and 1 type of paper.

Do the question of border has been mentioned that has me worries now !

Do I just state the paper sizes and a border size ( except A4 maybe ) for the prints ! ?

Back