Prints Fading

Edit My Images
No
Ive got a HP 7960 PhotoPrinter which I only feed with genuine Inks and Papers. Cant work out why the prints seem to be fading though? Some are in sunlight others are in shade but fading fast. Some are in a locker in a room with no windows and have (after nearly 2 years) just started to fade away. What could be causing this?

Which paper HP say use the Premium for longest print life.

Can't comment on HP but I have used Epson ink and papers in a 1290 (quite old technology now) for about 6 years and all the prints I have under glass are pretty much OK.

Any that have been on display not under glass have faded to a greater or lesser degree, those in bright light fare the worst.

From what I can tell those kept in boxes (in the dark) have not faded at all.

HTH

David

Do the prints get direct sunlight?

"I use HP Premium Photo Paper (gloss)."

I've had the same thing. I now have an Epson which has brought it's own problems but so far fading isn't one of them.

Never direct - indirect yes, one set gets absolutely no light apart from florescent tubes and is kept in the dark for about 144hrs of every 192!

The indirect sunlight ones are failing where there are cutouts in the mounts behind the photos - incidentally - the ones that have lasted the longest (but are beginning to fail) are behind glass if that makes a difference. The ones to fail the quickest are mostly kept in darkness and artificial light!

All dye ink prints like those from 7760 and similar printers will be damaged by daylight and UV in particular. We did some tests in strong direct sunlight with Canon original ink and 3rd party ink, the third party fading noticably within hours and the canon ink beginning to fade after about 20 hours.

We use Lyson Printguard spray which keeps framed prints happy (out of sunlight) for years so far.

Yep - it's UV light which is the killer for fading prints, even with conventional prints. I have some framed inkjet prints in the hall away from any window light and they must be about 7 years old -perhaps more - and no sign of fading at all.

Back