Prints in a hurry - Need advice urgently

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there anywhere that do good quality prints and deliver very quickly?

I might have an interview on Monday and need to print some images for a portfolio. I only found out today I have the interview so speed is a BIG deal. :eek:

Andy - I would have a look at the highstreet labs - all it would take is for a dodge postman and you would be stuck without.

Loxley willpost same day assuming you get the order to them before 11am. Get them ordered tonigh and be in the post Friday

Hugh

Give us a call on 01132 527025, we maybe able to get them put today via Fedex for next day delivery :)

you've just missed today's DSCL post deadline, I got the email about half an hour ago... but they do offer a next day service, as does ISL and others :)

most high street labs won't print too big, and if they do, will be pants prints and will charge a fortune...

I am trying to upload using the DSCL uploader tool but the images I have uploaded look quite a bit lower in contrast to the ones in CS5. I have converted them to their colour profile as well.

If you don't mind the trip, you could pick them up from DSCL in manchester. I put mine through this morning with next day so hopefully they'll be here by friday. if not I'll have to make do with 15x10s from jessops :puke:.

More worrying for me is the fact that my portfolio hasn't even turned up yet :LOL:

If you don't mind the trip, you could pick them up from DSCL in manchester. I put mine through this morning with next day so hopefully they'll be here by friday. if not I'll have to make do with 15x10s from jessops :puke:.

More worrying for me is the fact that my portfolio hasn't even turned up yet :LOL:
Did you get an interview too then? If so when is it?

I don't even have a portfolio book thingy yet. :eek:

Yeah I got an interview too, first thing monday so I'll have to go down the day before. When's yours?

Same time 09:30 Monday. It's really short notice so I'm not even sure if I can make it down. The train is seriously expensive from Nottingham!

I'm getting so fed up of trying to work out the which print places do the right things that I might just get some ink and sort them myslef. I only have a Canon IP3300 but I'm sure it will do.

have you actually seen their large prints, theyre actually pretty good.

fuji archive crystal supreme (or whatever its called) paper and spot on colour representation to what i have on my calibrated screen..

Yeah I know they're pretty decent (I used to work there), the :puke: was mainly at the price and the size (15x10 is the largest they'll do in store and ideally I need 18x12).

Yeah I know they're pretty decent (I used to work there), the :puke: was mainly at the price and the size (15x10 is the largest they'll do in store and ideally I need 18x12).
18x12 is big. I was going to do mine at A4 and there abouts. Is that too small do you think? :shrug:

Is that too small do you think? :shrug:

I don't think so, I've added a white border to mine so that all the prints fill the same aspect ratio so the pictures are actually a little smaller. The main reason I went for 18x12 is because it's about the same size as my A level art & design folder which I'm also taking along.

IMO it will probably be more about the quality of the photos themselves and you shouldn't have a problem with that (y)

That makes sense. When I did A-level photography we only did 35mm and all we could afford was A4 paper,lol.

I think my only real hope is to print them at home. I have to work tomorrow so I can't get all the images ready in time.

Do you have any idea how competitive the interview is, ie how many places are on offer? Or is it more a case of just checking we are up to standard?

No idea I'm afraid, I would speculate that if the course was massively competative then they would have filled their places when the UCAS applications were made at the start of the year, but I guess we'll find out on monday if there's a ton of other people there for interview or not.

That makes sense. When I did A-level photography we only did 35mm and all we could afford was A4 paper,lol.

I think my only real hope is to print them at home. I have to work tomorrow so I can't get all the images ready in time.

Do you have any idea how competitive the interview is, ie how many places are on offer? Or is it more a case of just checking we are up to standard?

pretty sure dscl will offer a courier or royal mail saturday delivery for not *too much* money. Submit them tomorrow night, they'll get printed friday morning and you'll get them saturday, just make sure you're in :) will blow the pants off any variety of home printing.

My printed porfolio is 12x8, does the job. The lecturers are savvy enough to see past the size. One of my friend's photo order didn't come through in time for a uni interview, so I printed his portfolio on my dye sub, 8x6" prints, he got the place.... 18x12 seems a waste of money to me tbh.

Good luck both of you, it's a good course - and again, if you get onto it, get Lucy to model for you, she's damn good :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw a Saturday delivery service for around £8 when I was ordering.

Re. the size thing, I think I just panicked a bit and bought the first port I could find with next day delivery :LOL: hopefully the lecturers don't think I'm trying to impress them with the size of it :nuts: the pictures themselves are closer to 14x11 without the borders. The price of them wasn't that bad, only about £15 off what I would have been paying for an A4ish size.

pretty sure dscl will offer a courier or royal mail saturday delivery for not *too much* money. Submit them tomorrow night, they'll get printed friday morning and you'll get them saturday, just make sure you're in :) will blow the pants off any variety of home printing.

My printed porfolio is 12x8, does the job. The lecturers are savvy enough to see past the size. One of my friend's photo order didn't come through in time for a uni interview, so I printed his portfolio on my dye sub, 8x6" prints, he got the place.... 18x12 seems a waste of money to me tbh.

Good luck both of you, it's a good course - and again, if you get onto it, get Lucy to model for you, she's damn good :)
In that case I'll try and get them uploaded by this evening. If that fails it will have to be home printing.

I am trying to upload using the DSCL uploader tool but the images I have uploaded look quite a bit lower in contrast to the ones in CS5. I have converted them to their colour profile as well.

That's probably because your browser doesn't support colour profiles, or if it does then it isn't set up properly.

I'm using Firefox and I'm not sure if it supports colour porfiles.

This is the issue I am having (copied from email I just sent to DSCL)
"When using the Desktop Kiosk to upload my images I can see a noticable drop in quality compared to what is seen in Photoshop CS5. The images in the priview sceeen of the uploader have a lot less contrast and look much more washed out/dull/flat. I have used the colour profile and Convert to Profile in CS5 which shows only a slight change in contrast so I would have thought they should look the same when uploaded."

Are you saying that they should be ok if they look ok in Photoshop?

Firefox is one of the only browsers that does support colour profiles but you have to enable it. Do a google for firefox and colour management and there's an easy to follow tutorial.

If they look go in photoshop and your monitor is calibrated then they should be fine in print providing you've followed their advise on what profile to export the image with.

If you can't find the tutorial let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

Back