Pripyat ghost town (3km from Chernobyl)

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a bit of an episode in Kiev the night before I went to Chernobyl with the police (corrupt), £200 gone and my camera, so had to make the most of a bad situation and use my phone camera during the tour the next day, which ran out of battery after about 20 minutes. Bit gutted, felt it was a missed opportunity, but made the most of it...

If you are ever in Belarus/ Ukraine, a trip to Chernobyl/ Pripyat is a must. Very interesting, a photographers paradise. Miles of flats, schools, hospitals, morgues, supermarkets all derelict and eroding.

Not the best of quality, but I'm sure it will interest some of the Urbexers among us. (y)

4032758090_523b2f7a4e.jpg

Larger photo

4032002965_e6bc9128b1.jpg

Larger photo

4031999019_3542cab2cf.jpg

Larger photo

4032749362_83aaf317bf.jpg

Larger photo

4032746302_ef2b2d060c.jpg

Larger photo

4032742768_b8cc405484.jpg

Larger photo

Last edited:
Spooky. Do you need a flash at night? ;)

Really like the first two.

WOW!!!

I'd absolutely love to go there.

Your shots are fantastic.
Sorry about the bad news :crying:

And that's proof that the best camera in the world is the one you actually have with you.

Love the shots, really atmospheric. I'd love to go out there for a tour.

Did they say how radioactive the place still was?

The tour is guided so you walk on the safe areas so to speak, around Pripyat the radiation is still pretty high but not life threatening if you only stay for a couple of hours.

We went up to the reactor and the giga reader was going mad, we only stayed for five minutes or so, apparently the workers can only work for two minutes a day in and around the reactor.

awesome, a couple of those look like stills from modern warfare. you'll know what i mean if you're a geek like me ;). also, what occurred with the police?

This was my first night in Kiev.

Bearing in mind I had slipped a few Ukrainian Vodkas...I was a little worse for wear. I ended up leaving one of the most prestigious night clubs alone...which turned out to be a bad idea. As soon as I left the club, I walked down a badly lit street as I saw a couple of taxis. I walked past two policemen, and bearing in mind corruption is rife in Ukraine I avoided eye contact with them (I had several warnings to avoid eye contact with them before I left for Kiev and when I arrived in Kiev), but they still shouted 'English?' to which I replied yes. They then asked to see my passport...it is against the law for any foreign national to not carry it with them. Once I gave them my passport, they started saying 'Greevna, Greevna', so I gave them half of what was in my wallet (the equivalent to £100). This wasn't enough...so they took my wallet out of my hands and took £100 sterling...so by this point I was £200 down. They forcefully put me in the back of a police car where they drove me to the closest ATM. I refused to give them my pin number so they kicked me in the leg, digged me in the ribs then gave me a couple of slaps (resulted in a black eye). This made them drive me to a small little police station about ten minutes away, not the main station in Kiev. They stuck me in a sizeable room with about 9-10 other Ukrainians who had been arrested that night. They said 'English?', to which I replied 'yes' once again...they took everything I had on me apart from my wallet. That included my camera and some petty change. After about ten minutes, another policeman came back, who I think knew what the other two were doing was illegal, so he took me out of the reprimand room and said to the other two to just get rid of me. So...low and behold they did. They drove me 10 miles outside of Kiev, and dropped me off in an area which has about 150 huge communist tower blocks (a bit like Peckham but ten times worse) on my own, at 5am with no money. I thought this is me, if I don't get beaten up by the local youths the local Mafia would kidnap me and put me up for ransom (I started to become paranoid and began panicking), so I took refuge in a local super market where the workers were completely unaware of what I was doing there. I stood by the entrance...a taxi pulls up. I thought I'll get him to drive me back to Kiev then do a runner, but luckily he spoke broken English and I explained what happened. He said this wasn't an isolated incident and this happens all the time (the average wage in Kiev is $75, so you can see why they reach these lows when Westerners arrive). He dropped me off at the Dnipro Hotel in the heart of Kiev..for the equivalent of 40p. There are some good people in the World. It took me another hour to find my Hostel, but that was own fault for not looking at my surroundings before I left for the night out.

The joys of following the England football team abroad. :cool:

Great pics, i am always fascinated when i see a set from Chernobyl, not so good about your experience with the cops though, thats enough to put me off visiting a place.

awesome, a couple of those look like stills from modern warfare. you'll know what i mean if you're a geek like me ;). also, what occurred with the police?

I know what you mean about modern warfare, they actually based many of the maps on Chernobyl and the local area.

Chris.

Sorry to hear about your run in with Kievs finest. Did you report it the embassy? Nice shots also, did you go just for the day or did you stay the night in the exclusion zone?

The tour is guided so you walk on the safe areas so to speak, around Pripyat the radiation is still pretty high but not life threatening if you only stay for a couple of hours.

We went up to the reactor and the giga reader was going mad, we only stayed for five minutes or so, apparently the workers can only work for two minutes a day in and around the reactor.

This was my first night in Kiev.

Bearing in mind I had slipped a few Ukrainian Vodkas...I was a little worse for wear. I ended up leaving one of the most prestigious night clubs alone...which turned out to be a bad idea. As soon as I left the club, I walked down a badly lit street as I saw a couple of taxis. I walked past two policemen, and bearing in mind corruption is rife in Ukraine I avoided eye contact with them (I had several warnings to avoid eye contact with them before I left for Kiev and when I arrived in Kiev), but they still shouted 'English?' to which I replied yes. They then asked to see my passport...it is against the law for any foreign national to not carry it with them. Once I gave them my passport, they started saying 'Greevna, Greevna', so I gave them half of what was in my wallet (the equivalent to £100). This wasn't enough...so they took my wallet out of my hands and took £100 sterling...so by this point I was £200 down. They forcefully put me in the back of a police car where they drove me to the closest ATM. I refused to give them my pin number so they kicked me in the leg, digged me in the ribs then gave me a couple of slaps (resulted in a black eye). This made them drive me to a small little police station about ten minutes away, not the main station in Kiev. They stuck me in a sizeable room with about 9-10 other Ukrainians who had been arrested that night. They said 'English?', to which I replied 'yes' once again...they took everything I had on me apart from my wallet. That included my camera and some petty change. After about ten minutes, another policeman came back, who I think knew what the other two were doing was illegal, so he took me out of the reprimand room and said to the other two to just get rid of me. So...low and behold they did. They drove me 10 miles outside of Kiev, and dropped me off in an area which has about 150 huge communist tower blocks (a bit like Peckham but ten times worse) on my own, at 5am with no money. I thought this is me, if I don't get beaten up by the local youths the local Mafia would kidnap me and put me up for ransom (I started to become paranoid and began panicking), so I took refuge in a local super market where the workers were completely unaware of what I was doing there. I stood by the entrance...a taxi pulls up. I thought I'll get him to drive me back to Kiev then do a runner, but luckily he spoke broken English and I explained what happened. He said this wasn't an isolated incident and this happens all the time (the average wage in Kiev is $75, so you can see why they reach these lows when Westerners arrive). He dropped me off at the Dnipro Hotel in the heart of Kiev..for the equivalent of 40p. There are some good people in the World. It took me another hour to find my Hostel, but that was own fault for not looking at my surroundings before I left for the night out.

The joys of following the England football team abroad. :cool:

What a fascinating read!

Back